Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2004 4:31:22 PM EDT
Well, I knew this would come up at some point.

Is the ATF looking at a "ruling" that will make all weapons made under the 10 year period of the ban permantly post ban weapons. That means no coversion back to a preban status and no private ownership of LEO/Military/Export marked weapons.

Could this actually be possible?  How could they possibly enforce this?

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm... is this where I say  AGNTSA?

It's NOT possible.  You can't enforce something that doesn't exist, which it won't, after September.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF would you have then? Preban, postban and post-postban?  I don't think so.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
never, it cannot happen, the law will be gone
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
After September 14 it will be like the "assault weapon ban" never existed in the firts place.  So there will be no question of pre, post and post-preban.  Just my 02.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#5]
No part of the law states that the guns made without these features in the time period of the ban must remain without the banned features.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
total rumor, do not believe it
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
BATFE has no legal authority to "Write" law (even if its called a "ruling").  All they can do is enforce existing law.  After Sept 13th everything is legal (ie pre-ban)once again.  Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:17:55 AM EDT
[#9]
NO!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The ATF can only rule on existing law. Without any applicable law, there's nothing to rule ON.

Therefore, after AWB sunset, no law=no rulings. Any and everything the ATF has come up with regarding the AWB becomes moot and has no legal weight AT ALL, PERIOD.  All that paperwork might just as well be shredded, because it will become completely meaningless, irrelevant, and without force.

For all purposes, on September 14 it will be as if the AWB never happened, and legally, we'll be right back where we were on September 12, 1994.

And that, as they say, is that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]
A few points.

1. The term and concept "post-ban" is not a legal term. It is not part of the law.

2. The term and concept "LEO Restricted" has legal meaning and is part of the law.

Therefore

1. A post-ban firearm is just a firearm. When and if the AWB expires, you can add any legal feature to it.

2. LEO Restricted items will probably be legal to own*. However, be advised that if any new ban is passed in the new few years, it is a 99% certainty than ALL "LEO Restricted" items will again be banned. Don't believe the stories that a new way to ID such items would be implemented.

Philip

* Warning I am not a lawyer, I just play one on the Internet.
PK
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A few points.
2. The term and concept "LEO Restricted" has legal meaning and is part of the law.

Therefore
2. LEO Restricted items will probably be legal to own*. However, be advised that if any new ban is passed in the new few years, it is a 99% certainty than ALL "LEO Restricted" items will again be banned. Don't believe the stories that a new way to ID such items would be implemented.

No problem, just get out your dremel tool and grind off the LEO ONLY marks.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Where's the not this shit again picture?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
After September 14 it will be like the "assault weapon ban" never existed in the firts place.  So there will be no question of pre, post and post-preban.  Just my 02.

One correction: as of September 13 it will be like the "assault weapon ban" never existed in the first place. The ban expires in 3 days, 12 hours, 53 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top