Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 9:30:28 AM EDT
A friend of mine asked me to help him out with a transfer issue that I wasn't sure about.  He has a rifle (antique) at his relative's home in North Carolina and wants to ship it to his state of Minnesota.  I believe he's required to "transfer" through a FFL holder but I wasn't absolutely certain since it's his weapon.  This sounds like a weapon from the mid to late 1800's but still is a functionong firearm.  He's not even sure if it's serial numbered.  If a FFL transfer is required, will the serial number (if it doesn't have one) be an issue?  Thanks in advance for any insight someone may have.

JohnnyB
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]
If it was made prior to Jan 1, 1899, it is an antique firearm and is not subject to Federal regulation.  No FFL needs to be involved in the transfer at either end.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I did some checking and found it to be manufactured in 1901.  Now what????????
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks.  I did some checking and found it to be manufactured in 1901.  Now what????????

It must be transferred through a licensed dealer in the recipient's home state.  The fact that it doesn't have a serial number shouldn't matter.  They weren't required at the time of manufacture.

I don't know what effect Minnesota law would have on the transfer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Tell him to drive to NC and drive back to Minn with the rifle.  It it was given to him by a private person, no FFL need get involved, no paper trail to be audited by ATF later, and all perfectly legal.

I'd drive all that way to keep a gun out of the Feds' radar screen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It's his rifle? No FFL is needed. Ship USPS or common carrier. I'd call the office beforehand, actual knowledge of laws is notoriously bad at these places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top