Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2001 5:08:06 AM EDT
Hello.  Does anyone know if it is legal to buy a mag (mail order) from a state where 30 round mags are legal and have it sent to my home (in a state where 30 rnd mag sales are illegal)?  Thanks and good day.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I can answer for California:

No.  That would constitute "importing" a high-capacity magazine into the state, which is just as illegal as manufacturing one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on your state.

In Hawaii, the manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable ammunition magazines with a capacity in excess of ten rounds which are designed for or capable of use with a pistol is prohibited.  However, magazines originally designed to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition which have been modified to accept no more than ten rounds and which are not capable of being readily restored to a capacity of more than ten rounds are allowed.

So, for Hawaii:

1. Manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, and acquisition are self explanatory.

2.  Is the magazine designed or capable of use with a pistol?

NO.  Then round count does not matter.

Yes, then:

3.  Has the magazine been modified to accept no more than ten rounds?

No.  Then the mere possession of the magazine is a misdemeanor unless inserted into a pistol, which would then be a class C felony.

YES, then:

4. Does the modification prevent the magazine from being readily restored to a capacity of more than ten rounds?  NOTE: no court in Hawaii has ruled with respect to what the term “readily” means.  If the Legislature wanted to used “permanently,” it could have done so.

No.  Then the mere possession of the magazine is a misdemeanor unless inserted into a pistol, which would then be a class C felony.

With respect to your initial question, assuming they are magazines that are designed or capable of use with a pistol, make the purchase, but make sure they are modified to comply with the law before bringing them into the State.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
not legal in NJ, CAL, WASH....plus you could get the seller in trouble
e-mail me for more info [email protected]
[uzi]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
not legal in NJ, CAL, WASH....plus you could get the seller in trouble
e-mail me for more info [email protected]
[uzi]
View Quote

That MUST be WASH DC....or else I am in DEEP kimchi.......
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Are those the only states you can't freely ship high-cap mags to? CA, NJ and is it WA state or DC?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can't legally own one or buy one in the state, you can't have it shipped into the state.

If it's legal to own one in the state but not buy one, you can't have one shipped. But you can probably go out of state and buy one, bring it home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top