Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2004 1:01:42 PM EDT
If the AWB does in fact sunset on Sept. 14, what effect will that have on those of use living in California?
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much. If you have a KaliBan Registered AW in post ban config you cand add the evil features to it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
rimfires are exempt from state ban so have away with them
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the reply's.

I cross posted this in the Hometown forum, and got quite a few responses, with some lively discussion.

For fellow Californian's that are interested, you can read more about it here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=182122

Thanks again.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone actually talked to D.O.J. to see if we can put all the features back on our post bans.??
i have asked this question on the FAL files and was told that since Cali has its own ban that it could be different for us and we may not be able to even after the Ban.!
someone needs to get this in writeing before i put anything on my postbans that "might" be in violation of SB23..
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe the California legislature will take their head out, and lift the AW ban in CA along with the high capacity magazine ban.  Fat chance with people like Feinstein and Boxer still in office.  If you ask them any question about what good it's doing you get all types of vague, interpretative responses like.  "The statistics show that there is less happening now, than before".
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
RMek,

They're not going to just decide one Tuesday morning that they should lift the ban. Reasoning with them, and explaining things logically hasn't worked either. We need some sort of leverage, and the 2nd Ammendment doesn't seem to be enough.

They already tried early this year to challenge the constitutionality of the assault weapon's ban, and it did no good. Writting to politicians goes nowhere as well.

I'm convinced that the only thing to do is leave the state. CA is crazy enough, with its high cost of living, flood of illegal immigrants, and overly opressive legislation. It's not worth it, I think I'll trade the good weather for a little more freedom.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Has anyone actually talked to D.O.J. to see if we can put all the features back on our post bans.??
i have asked this question on the FAL files and was told that since Cali has its own ban that it could be different for us and we may not be able to even after the Ban.!
someone needs to get this in writeing before i put anything on my postbans that "might" be in violation of SB23..

Guys who said that at FAL Files don't know what they are talking about.   I registered a Mini 14 as an assault weapon under SB23.  I was not asked if it had a flash hider, pistol grip, or folding stock.  So how would theCAL- DOJ know what I had on my rifle to begin with?  Two evil features is all they required to ban a rifle under SB-23, adding more doesnt change anything in the law.
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]
well at the time you registered your MINI-14  the fed law on folders and flashiiders was allready in place..they didnt ask becuase they allready knew that those features were banned federally. in cali they made there own feature law.. and it will stay on the books..cali has its own post ban- pre ban
laws weather we like it or not..believe me i want my registered rifles to have the features..but cali made us register them without the features anyways.. just trying to make sure that we are correct in assuming that we can just put that stuff back on without violating SB23..someone needs to get this in writeing.!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Like I said, if you have a registered CA AW you can add all the features. Looks like we can pimp out our .22 as well. Look at the laws on the CA-DOJ FIREARMS web site. If the Fed Ban expires, you will still have to comply with the State ban.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
It's simple:

Those who registered federal pre-bans will still have CA registered pre-bans. They can do whatever they want to them.

Those who registered federal post bans will be able to configure them as federal pre-bans if they want to. After all, they are already AW's in the eyes of the PRK and the only thing keeping someone from adding more evil features is the federal ban.

Those who did not register and have the firearms in the state are breaking the law no matter what configuration it is in, so they can add features as they see fit. I do not think getting caught with a CA AW that has a flash hider will bring you any more trouble than if it did not have one.

Ray
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Clarification: Only rimfire RILFES are exempt. ALL pistols are still covered by the ban.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top