Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2001 2:04:27 PM EDT
I HAVE AN ASSAULT PISTOL AR-15 AND I PUT A  PISTOL STYLE FORWARD GRIP ON IT.IS IT AN ILLEGAL THING TO DO?ANY REFERRENCES TO CALIFORNIA LAWS?THANKS.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Think also about whether it is an AOW under U.S. law.  Anyone weighing in on the subject, what would the answer be if it were a pre-ban [u]rifle[/u] (not SBR)
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
No can do. By adding a vertical foregrip, you would be making an AOW ("Any Other Weapon") subject to the National Firearms Act.  Theoretically you could do it, but you would first have to submit a form 1 with pictures, fingerprints, CLEO signoff, and $200 making tax to the BATF NFA Branch. After you received approval you could add the grip. However, since it looks like we're talking about CA here, I don't think they're permitted under state law, and there's no way you get the CLEO signoff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If it were a preban rifle and he merely wanted to add the vertical foregrip (and keep the stock and barrel length the same), there would be no problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks a lot for info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top