Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2001 1:02:56 PM EDT
Probably been asked before, but I'm new. Is it illegal to put a large capacity (20-30) round clip in my post-ban Colt AR-15?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Michigan...
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It is LEGAL to put a preban hi-cap mag into any rifle that will accept it, no matter when the rifle was made.  You CAN NOT modify the magazine in anyway that would allow it to fit into a rifle that it was not designed for, if the modifications also prevent it from working in the original rifle.

Unless the high-cap mag ban expires, I think we'll see the AR15 platform around for a VERY long time.  I expect someday I will be removing my mechanical fire control parts and replacing them with electronic ones, once electrically fired ammunition becomes widely available.  (Last I heard, Remington still had their electronic rifle in the lab)

Just imagine a 0.00ms lock time!

You'd also be able to adjust the rate of fire, and the number of rounds fired per triggle pull through software settings!

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
State law may supercede federal law. But generally, magazine capacity is limited ONLY in mags that are post-ban.

If it's stock and fits in the gun. It's legal from a federal perspective.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as I know, it's legal here on the "left coast" too.

Either that, or I'm a criminal.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As far as I know, it's legal here on the "left coast" too.

I know that 10 rounds mags are the only ones legal for sale in CA... just from what I have read. I think you can only use them too.

Either that, or I'm a criminal.
View Quote

You might be if you put a 30round in there
Just trying to warn you,
-Chuck
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Warn away Chuck, but you'd be wasting your breath. It's legal to [b]OWN[/b] and [b]USE[/b] any size mag in CA. It's just that you can no longer buy, sell, transfer, loan, yadda yadda yadda, etc...
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
It is legal for a post ban to accept high-caps.  It just depends on where you live.  For example, California sucks.  You can still own them just that they love donations.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Back40, It seems to me that such a gun (I've heard of 'em) would be declared illegal. As in readily convertable to Full-Auto. If a gun could be converted to Full-Auto. without changing a single part, that would create a real Liberal backlash. Congress and The State Legislatures would rush to enact a ban on such a firearm. 0.0 ms Lock-Time, sounds like another restriction/Evil Fature in the making. By the way, I would also do so as soon as the parts are available.

If you want Full-Auto., try this. Attach a push solenoid to the trigger and trigger gaurd. Hook the solenoid via an variable frequency generator to a small push button to a battery. When you push the button, the oscillator would cause the solenoid to push the trigger at a set time period (800 rounds per minute.) Using a potentiometer in the circuit would allow adjustment to the trigger period. An electronic (0.00ms lock time) would allow almost unlimited rate of fire. Limited by the maximum speed of the solenoid, reload speed, and rate of burn for the bullet. But, this would allow for repeated firing of misfired rounds. For example if it doesn't fire the first time, A second pull would cause it to fire.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is LEGAL to put a preban hi-cap mag into any rifle that will accept it, no matter when the rifle was made.  
View Quote

Be careful here. Talking about AR15 rifles is one thing but ANY rifle could be illegal.
An AK type rifle has the 10-part rule. No more than 10 imported parts may be contained in the rifle, including mag body, mag spring, and mag follower. Any more then 10 imported parts must be USA parts including mags. Refer to 922r
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top