Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2001 1:51:45 PM EDT
What procedures do you have to go through to bring/ check in the gun when flying? where do you put the magazines and can you bring ammo?
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
NO ammmo it must be in a locking case other than that your good to go!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Everything above sounds correct with my experiences. Best to check with the airline that you are flying though. Just a little bit of humor. I was asked to show the ticket agent that my rifle was unloaded. Like they could tell. Talk about some strange looks when I pulled my "ar-15 assualt rifle" out of its case in the Anchorage airport.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy is right on the money.

Just some minor comments:

Be sure to check with the airline before you go.  They may have some oddball requirements.

Obviously, you're talking about flying domestically.

Lastly, be prepared for some clueless ticket agent.  I had one United agent tell me to take my pistol up to the security agent at the x-ray area.  I asked to speak to her supervisor who straightened it out.  I don't know if she was confusing me with law enforcement, was really stupid, or what.

I could just see me trying to explain to the security people that I was told to bring my pistol to them in my carry-on luggage.

Link Posted: 5/23/2001 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I have flown with pistols and/or rifles several times, and never had any significant hassle.

Troy's post is completely accurate AFAIK.  Definitely check with your airline.  Southwest had a 5-pound limit on ammo last time I checked (but they have NEVER weighed or even looked at my ammo).

Checking in a firearm can be entertaining.  One time when I was flying out of Oakland, CA the agent at the counter was a young man from France.  I was checking in a 1911 and a Glock 17.  He'd apparently never dealt with firearms before so he called his supervisor, a young woman who spoke Texican, to help out.  She  inspected them, commented on how smoothly my 1911 cycles, and showed the French guy how to do that and all the paperwork.  He looked excited but very nervous.  She never stopped smiling.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Be prepared for some curious glances and comments not only from the ticketing agent, but anyone else standing around.  I once flew from Texas to Georgia with an AR and an AK, both in the same hard case.  I popped it open for the ticket agent to check, and I swear, you could have heard a gnat fart.  There was more eye-popped rubber-necking from adjacent lines and other agents behind the ticket counter than you can imagine.  I suddenly felt like I was on the set of a very bad commercial.  It was all approved with no real trouble, but I guarantee I could have jumped on the counter, dropped trou and laid an egg and received less attention.  It was hilarious!
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It is also a felony to fly into
Chicago Midway
Los Angeles
New York
and Washington DC

with a firearm.  I believe those are state laws.

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Back40,
You sure about that one?  I don't think so.  State law you say?  I don't think so either.  I have flown into SFO with my AR and other stuff with no problem.  So it couldn't be a state law.  That's absurd.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
If you fly over California with an AR-15 in your baggage, they make you parachute out so they can arrest you.

Why is there never a "DB Cooper" smiley around when you need one??? [:p] [:p] [:p]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Chicago Midway
Los Angeles
New York
and Washington DC

View Quote

Correct on DC, New York City, and Chicago IF those are your final destinations.  If your plane merely stops there and your baggage never leaves the airport I believe you are in the clear.

I can't find anything to verify this on Los Angeles.  It's certainly not a California state law.  I don't believe this is correct.

Things are weird in airports.  State laws on possession don't always apply to people who are flying through.  For example, throughout Arkansas no alcoholic beverages can be sold between 12:00 Sunday morning and something like 6:00 AM Monday.  But you can buy beer, wine, even mixed drinks in the airport bars in Little Rock.  Same for Dallas/Fort Worth - County law restricts alcohol sales basically all day Sunday, but the airport bars at DFW remain open.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I flew to Camp Perry last year, and carried my
AR15 & a Garand in an SKB case - a good choice.
Someone else hauled my ammo.  I had no real problem with the firearms. The ticket clerk gave
me the form to put in the case, and I was good
to go.  Later on, though, NW airlines lost my
gear for 2 days at Detroit! (not the guns)
A friend of mine flew also, but took the ammo,
too. Well, forget the airline rules. He had it
packed correctly, but he had to go through THREE
supervisors to get on board! Nobody seemed to know what the hell was going on at United.
One more thing - DO NOT take the advise a bozo
gave to me - "Just break down the AR and put it
in your suitcase, 'cause they'll never know."
John
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I usually just carry my AR right on the plane w/ me.  No Case. And a BETA-C hanging outa' the mag well.

[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#13]
When I recently relocated from the PRK to free America, I transported part of my collection on a US Air Flight.  In one large 2 rifle SKB case I had a Sig 2340, Beretta 92, Ruger P97, Glock 30, Remington 870 Marine Magnum & a Beretta 391.  When I got to the counter I told the agent I needed to check in firearms.  She looked in the case had me sign a form saying they were unloaded and that was it.  Very smooth.  No extra charge for having more than 2 guns.  Of course they were all in 1 case. US Air did me right!
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#14]
If I move to Alaska in the future I'd probably bring my guns there by air. I understand that ARs cannot be transported through Canada from Washington state to Alaska.

Is this correct?

Also, I was told that I can not bring my AR to the PRK next time I visit my Dad. Does the registration apply to out of state residents as well?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Chicago Midway
Los Angeles
New York
and Washington DC

View Quote

Well damn- I would be flying out of DC (does this apply to both Reagan and dulles?) IN reagan last week at the ?Delta? luggage check in they had a sign that said firearms must be unloaded?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Back40, I have flown in and out of Chicago with long guns before many times. The airline folks simply put the little tag in the case with the gun and send you on your way. On arrival they get it first and check your claim ticket to make sure it really is yours. One lady at the check in at Midway commented on how nice my .30-06 was just before she tagged it like she had done it a hundred times.

I carried a shotgun with me (in a case) on the El train from Midway to the Sheridan stop once(about 45 minute ride) and nobody cared. Of all the airport/airline employees, security guards, Chicago cops, and CTA cops I have walked by in Chicago, not a one said a thing.

There is nothing illegal about having a long gun in Chicago, however non-police handguns are not allowed within city limits (even though Chicago has IIRC the third highest handgun crime rate in the US or something). I believe that the no "firearms" into Midway you mentioned should really read "handguns".
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By California Kid:
Things are weird in airports.  State laws on possession don't always apply to people who are flying through.  For example, throughout Arkansas no alcoholic beverages can be sold between 12:00 Sunday morning and something like 6:00 AM Monday.  But you can buy beer, wine, even mixed drinks in the airport bars in Little Rock.  Same for Dallas/Fort Worth - County law restricts alcohol sales basically all day Sunday, but the airport bars at DFW remain open.
View Quote

Yeah, airports can do that. I'm sure some folks go there on Sunday's just to drink, but I don't know why anyone would want to pay airport prices. I guess it's like being "duty free". No tax, but the price is higher to begin with.

Actually all day sunday there are no alcohol sales. Midnight Saturday to midnight Sunday. I have been in Krogers several times late on Sunday's and there is always a line. One register is open and there are 25 guys all standing around there holding cases of beer waiting for 12:01 to come along. Pretty funny actually. We also have dry counties. Some counties don't allow alcohol sales AT ALL. You have to drive to the next county to get it and pay the inflated price at the liquor store 20 feet across the county line. Otherwise you can drive another 30 minutes and pay regular price, but then you've wasted too much gas to make it worth it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I took my buddy Brian to LAX so he could catch a flight to Wa on United.
We went up through the check-in counter, the girls asks if he has any firearms, he says yes.
She asks to see if it is packed up correctly and that it is unloaded. he hauls it out of his bag, unlocks the case, opens the slide and hands it to her. She smiles at Brian and asks if it is unloaded, so Brian takes the gun from her, shows her the mag well and says that there is no mag in there. Then he (out of habit I guess) goes into a relaxed two handed stance and releases the slide.....About this time I am thinking..Brian..6'4" big bald black guy an an air terminal with a black full sized H&K USP...I heard one of the nitwit airheads in line scream "HE'S GOT A GUN!!" About that time I saw one of the Airport security guards come running at him out of the corner of my eye, and when I turned I saw two more running at him.
The girl behind the counter started yelling at Brian to give her the gun and that there was no problem. Brian kind of looked around and then handed the gun back to her. Right about then I hear the one guard yell "STOP!" as he hit the rope line marker things. He tripped over it, and fell on his ass. The girl behind the counter was yelling at the other guards that it was ok, and one of the other ticket agents was trying to get that one bitch who started it to shut up.

In the end the girl that was dealing with Brian apologized for what happened, Both me and Brian were pulled from the line and had to talk to the SGT.in charge.
Brian made his flight, I got good snide comment in when I went past the dumb bitch that started it in the first place. "cough-cough-BANG-BANG-cough...."
She just about had a heart attack.

You can take firearms in and out of LAX as long as they are Kalifornication legal and they meet the airlines packageing requirements.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I've usually had an easy time flying with my guns, but Northwest Airlines and Philadelphia airport are two exceptions.  Every time I have flown into Philly for my family's annual Thanksgiving (a few days after) hunt, my guns have been treated like absolute shit.  After having a couple of the plastic cases broken over the years (always replaced at the airline's expense [:)]),we began using those 'bullet-proof' steel cases.  The assholes always seem to find a way to horribly scratch or dent the cases. Nuff said about those guys.

Also, Northwest lost my rifle, my uncle's rifle, and my father-in-law's rifle when flying into Madison, WI- incidentally, my dad FORGOT his (what luck!).
After filing insurance claims, management complaints, etc, etc, we were reimbursed $500 each.  Talk about bullshit- I'm not compfortable using Northwest with my guns.  

As an aside- is it legal to only bring a lower on the plane without declaring it (packed luggage). Then you could get somebody else in your party to carry the upper/bolt carrier group in their packed luggage.  Anybody think of this already?  
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Washington DC has no airports with scheduled airline service.  Both Ronald Reagan and Dulles Airports are in Virginia.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#23]
It is interesting that even when the airline places "Hand Carry Only" on the gun case and it still comes out banged up as hell.  Philly is the only airport that ever does this to our stuff- The baggage people there are the worst of the worst.

Also, it's interesting that you may not bring serrated pocket knives (of ANY length).  I have often been given trouble with my SWAT folder (3" exactly).  I have started bringing a small 6inch ruler in my carry-on luggage, just in case they question my blade again.  I wonder why serrated blades are not allowed??? FAA regulations...
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I talked to Spirit Air about firearms, Locked unloaded in a case in your luggage.5lbs of factory ammo per person, in a seperate suitcase. They were real nice no problems, but you have to check first.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 11:53:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top