Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2001 7:31:28 PM EDT
This may be asked all the time, and if so I appologize up front.  [:)]

If I understand correctly,  a rifle must have been completely manufactured prior to the assault weapons ban in order to legally have those "evil features".  What I want to know is: "did the rifle have to be configured as an AW prior to the ban?"  In other words, say I have a bushmaster I bought myself for Christmas in 92, but it was in a "post-ban" configuration (ie. no "evil features").  Can I legally convert that lower to a pre-ban configuration, with bayo lug, flash hider, collapsible stock etc?

Thanks,

Louis
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
if u had a pre ban parts kit next to it or even just a upper yeah u could of course if the lower is pre 94 theres really no way to tell
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
To do it in strict accordance with the law it must have been in SAW configuration before the ban.  If you owned all the parts to put it in SAW configuration before the ban that would be okay too.  But if it was in a post-ban "non-evil" configuration before the ban and you didn't own the parts with which to make it "evil" you cannot legally do so now.

Check out [url]http://www.olyarms.com/prepost.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
A related question I have is whether or not you can legally add new "evil" features to a rifle that was in fact a preban SAW but which did not previously have those specific features.

For example, if I buy a documented complete preban AR15 with a pistol grip, bayonet lug, and flash hider - thus making it a preban SAW -is it legal to add a collapsible stock if it never had one before?
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#4]
yes just by having 2 or more pre 94  makes it excempt u can change those feuters till the cows come home as far as the law goes
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yes just by having 2 or more pre 94  makes it excempt u can change those feuters till the cows come home as far as the law goes
View Quote

I own an SP 1 (which is very preban of course) and a green Label (Preban) AR15. Are you telling us that because of that fact I can configure any post-ban lower with evil features according to the law?

That's not how it has been explained to me but I would be delighted to find you right and me wrong.

PigPen

Link Posted: 5/16/2001 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You can slap all the pre-ban parts to a pre-ban lower you have, because all you're doing is replacing the original parts which is legal to do.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I own an SP 1 (which is very preban of course) and a green Label (Preban) AR15. Are you telling us that because of that fact I can configure any post-ban lower with evil features according to the law?

That's not how it has been explained to me but I would be delighted to find you right and me wrong.

PigPen

View Quote

PigPen,

I'm not sure if I'm following what you're asking. But, here goes.

You can NOT put pre-ban features onto a post-ban rifle.

You can add pre-ban features to a pre-ban rifle. ie., you can convert either of your pre-ban rifles to carbines complete with flash suppressors, bayo. lugs and colls. stocks.

But, again, those features can NOT be added to a post-ban rifle.

Did this help? Hope so.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top