Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2003 3:03:53 AM EDT
i THINK this is possible.....  can you build a post ban ar pistol from a virgin receiver .. such as a rock river arms lower? as long as it meets all of the post ban requirements?.. no heat shield or forward handgrip, under the specified weight limit (53 oz. i think) and no provision for a  butt stock...
thanx in advance
john in houston
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The receiver has to have been "manufactured" (labeled by the manufacturer) as a pistol receiver, even though technically you could use any receiver, you can't legally  just  buy or use any receiver.

I think you are correct with the rest of it though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I defer to Troy's opinion.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy:

I may be mistaken but I thought it had to do with the excise tax and the designation as a pistol or rifle receiver by the manufacturer.

The excise tax is different for rifles and pistols.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
permenently attach the mag... and most your legal things you have to comply with go away...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Troy is correct...

There are NO requirements for anyone to label a lower as a pistol, but some feel better doign so having a paperwork trail showing it was a virgin receiver or a pistol receiver and never a rifle/shotgun.

No FET is required if manufacturered gun is for personal use only.

If you are making it to sell, then you got problems with IRS...  
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#7]
budam:  But doesn't the manufacturer pay the excise tax on the lower?  If the receiver is not designated as a rifle or pistol how is the excise tax calculated correctly?  I understand the excise tax is rate is different for a rifle vs. a pistol.  TIA
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have to say it again:

Troy is correct...

Seems to be habit forming!  :-)

FET is 10% for handguns and 11% for everything else.

There ARE exceptions to FET in the title 2 world, but that is for another day.

mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top