Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2001 5:32:44 PM EDT
Ok, so I live in CA and cant buy an AR.

I move out of state to AZ so I can buy an AR. To legally buy a gun in that state you have to be a resident. But to be considered a resident you must live there for 6 months. While purchasing the gun the only form of ID you must show is your drivers licnese.

To obtain a drivers license, all I have to do is walk into the DMV with my old out of state license and give them an AZ address along with $25. Correct?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you are trying to pull a fast one on the ole CA DOJ no?  Go for it, it's your a$$.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Better yet, leave the state before the Chinese establish beacheads.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, there's no need for the Chinese to invade.  Kalifornia is already a communist state.  Just ask Chairman Feinstein.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Not looking to pull a fast one, as I will store the rifle out of state.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I think its 6 months based on what I have gathered here. But seriously, I will be in and out of the state for the next year or so. So the 6 month figure boils down to technicality. What is the difference if I purchased it the day I get there, or the day the beginning of the 6th month rolls around?

I'm pretty sure they are not going to ask for 6 months of phone bills. Hell, I was at a gun show in Vegas over the weekend. When asking about what I need to do to get a gun if I'm from CA, I was told all I need to do is get a license after I move. He made no indication as to a time frame.

The reason I worded it as I did was to point out how moronic some of the laws are. I could have just as easily asked a question without  raising any questions about the legality of my actions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If the state of AZ does not have a pistol purchase permit type of card to get you out of the NICS check then this ain't gonna fly. Just a drivers license won't keep you from having the NICS check where you and your bogus address will show up as phoney when they run your social security number. Then you will get a denied and it will log that you tried to cheat the system. Then you probably won't even be able to buy guns in the state of Californication.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, so I live in CA and cant buy an AR.

I move out of state to AZ so I can buy an AR. To legally buy a gun in that state you have to be a resident. But to be considered a resident you must live there for 6 months. While purchasing the gun the only form of ID you must show is your drivers licnese.

To obtain a drivers license, all I have to do is walk into the DMV with my old out of state license and give them an AZ address along with $25. Correct?
View Quote

What's your e-mail? I have all info you need. E-mail me for info. I have lived in AZ now for about 7 years.

John
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Excuse my ignorance, but when in the simple act of moving to a different location is that updated by the state/government?
Is it illegal to have two separate residences in two different states? Since when is your social security number linked with your home address. The house I was born in sure isn't the house I live in now. Since then I have not had to fill out any change of residency papers.

Who ever said it would be a bogus address? I'm not planning on purchasing a pistol either. I plan on moving in with family friends when I get to AZ. Thanks for the rude reply, I always appreciate one when I'm asking a simple question.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I think tax and voter registration records may be a potential problem. You may have to file in the new state of residence to avoid a NICS conflict ( or maybe not, WTF do I know).

I don't think it's as simple as a license and a utility bill.

If you find out differently, I would appreciate any info you could give me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless you do whatever is required to legally establish AZ residence, at some point you will have to lie and possibly commit perjury.  I haven't seen the AZ driver's licence application, but it probably includes a question like "Have you applied for a licence in any other state within X time?".  And you are probably going to have to provide a valid AZ physical mailing address to which your pretty, laminated, permanent AZ licence will be mailed.  (You'll walk out of the DMV with a cheesy tissue temporary license with no photo, which no FFL holder in his or her right mind would honor).  A P.O. box or "suite" at Mail Boxes, Etc. won't cut it.

BATF Form 4473 asks, under penalty of perjury, in what state you reside.  You can split hairs all day long about exactly what the definition of is is, but I believe you can't simultaneously be a resident of more than one state.  I've experienced the joy of doing income taxes for a year in which my wife lived in a different state for the first six weeks we were married.

If you are anything like me, the fact that CA has forbidden you from buying an AR makes owning one seem more attractive.  Sometimes I hate that fact about myself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
You can legally establish residency in multiple states. You must intend to live there for a period of time. You can't just own a piece of property and be considered a resident.

As long as there is no state or local law prohibiting the purchase of a firearm you can legally purchase a firearm in states where you have established a residence. AFAIK this includes NFA weapons. You must choose one state to be domiciled in and only vote in that state.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
If the state of AZ does not have a pistol purchase permit type of card to get you out of the NICS check then this ain't gonna fly. Just a drivers license won't keep you from having the NICS check where you and your bogus address will show up as phoney when they run your social security number. Then you will get a denied and it will log that you tried to cheat the system. Then you probably won't even be able to buy guns in the state of Californication.
View Quote

You forgot to tell him about Bubba!

First of all, NICS doesn't know that you didn't move six months ago unless they have a record of a backgroung check within that time period in another state......and can find it.

Second, NICS is federal (key word "National")and doesn't care what the AZ state law is. They probably don't even know what it is.

Third, if all else fails, when confronted tell them that you were planning on living in AZ for a year, went ahead and got a drivers license like a good little boy, didn't know about the six month law (it's 30 days in NC) and certainly had "No Intent" to break the law of which you were unaware.

Anyway, if they are all out apprehending the 50K unknowing law breakers who do not know the law, (they haven't read these forae yet) they won't have time to dredge up BS cases like this.

Now be aware. If you buy 50 rifles and take them back to KA for 50 of your buddies.....one of them will tell someone who will tell someone and that might interest the LE.

PigPen
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Ice15 if you move to AZ and establish a residence then I doubt if the local LE would concern theirself if you bought a rifle.  What made me suspicious by the way was the first sentence in your post.  However you need to realize that it will indeed be illegal in the eyes of the law.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Lived in Illinois for a while, then moved to Arkansas. I milled around for a week of so, then decided to buy another gun so got an in-state drivers license and went and bought one. No delay, no arrest.

Anyway, what my point was is that NICS didn't say "Holy $hit, he's from out of state!! Call the police" Instead I had no delays and walked out with a purdy AR-15. Also about 6 months ago a friend of mine came down from ILL to visit. We went to the gun store and he wanted to buy a gun. He went to the counter, yellow formed it with his real address and used his ILL drivers license. Shop called NICS and he was approved. We went and shot and then he took it back home with him.

NICS uses your SS# to check the FBI's list of felons, not with the IRS for where you live. And David, I don't know who broke the stick off in your ass, but your SS# is even optional on the yellow form. If you don't want to put it on there you don't have to. It's almost a guaranteed delay, but what the hell, can't have everything.

Ice, I can't speak for AZ, but when I moved down here I gave them IIRC $27 and traded liceses. No written test, no drivers test, no eye test, and no temporary license. Walked in with IL license, took about 15 minutes in line and to get a new mug shot, then out the door with my permanent AR license. Real easy, then next day bought a gun. Again, the AZ/CA situation could be a lot different, but NICS doesn't give a crap.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top