Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 10:10:39 PM EDT
With all the fuss that OSHA has made about noise polution and hearing damage in industry and our private lives why are silencers still illegal? It makes as much sense as outlawing mufflers on automobiles.

I think that suppressors were outlawed at the same time as machine guns during the boot-legging days when "tommy-guns" were the craze. It's about time this stupid silencer law is dropped.

We all must wear "ear-muffs" for hearing protection at gun ranges. Why not just manufacture all firearms with integral suppressors? The technology exists.

Why is gun noise desireable? Is it suppose to prevent crime because everyone will hear the shot?  In combat the amount of noise and hearing damage is inexcusable. Is it a psychological kind of thing? The Army that makes the most noise WINS?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Silencers and machineguns are legal in about 37 states, although you do have to pay $200 tax to the government for each one you buy.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
In some areas of France they are recommended.

Some ranges in Finland require them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Silencers and machineguns are legal in about 37 states, although you do have to pay $200 tax to the government for each one you buy.

View Quote

As I understood even to get the $200 "stamp" for each silencer or machine gun you have to jump through hoops to get your local constable to approve your permit request. And it takes months and months to get it approved, if it is. Other than "collecting" reasons there isn't any valid reason why anyone needs a suppressed gun if your Sheriff should ask, "why do you need this silencer?". I wouldn't know how to answer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The same reason you would Need a Corvette or Lamborghini - its not a matter of need.

You can't operate a "Real" Sports car in its designed speed range - it isn't legal. Likewise you must USE a suppressor in a legal manner - Plinking is still legal.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I was recently touring England and Scotland and happened to stay at the right bed and breakfast on mainland Orkney one night.  The owner was a 28 year police veteran and we talked guns for a while and then he showed me his "rabbit killing machine" as he called it.  It was a 10/22 with a silencer.  I had only seen pictures of silencers up til this point and asked if it was quiet.  We went outside and shot a few rounds into the side of the hill - and wow was it quiet!  I absolutely hate the fact that it is easier to own silencers (and 50 round 10/22 magazines for that matter) in the UK than it is here.  They should not be subject to a $200 tax.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah well if i get in a gun fight...i want other people to hear the shots.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yeah well if i get in a gun fight...i want other people to hear the shots.
View Quote

Then you can unscrew yours off in opportune places for such a scenario. I sincerely doubt however, that you would stick to that point in a carjacking -- unless of course you are already deaf.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Other than "collecting" reasons there isn't any valid reason why anyone needs a suppressed gun if your Sheriff should ask, "why do you need this silencer?". I wouldn't know how to answer.
View Quote
[blue]

Refer him to the Gemtech web-site:[/blue]
[red]
"All Gemtech suppressors meet or exceed OSHA requirements for firearm sound reduction hearing protection."[/red]
[blue]
Supposedly OSHA has required CA to use suppressors for hearing protection,, do not know full story with OSHA involvement.[/blue]

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other than "collecting" reasons there isn't any valid reason why anyone needs a suppressed gun if your Sheriff should ask, "why do you need this silencer?". I wouldn't know how to answer.
View Quote
[blue]

Refer him to the Gemtech web-site:[/blue]
[red]
"All Gemtech suppressors meet or exceed OSHA requirements for firearm sound reduction hearing protection."[/red]
[blue]
Supposedly OSHA has required CA to use suppressors for hearing protection,, do not know full story with OSHA involvement.[/blue]

View Quote

It  simply means that "suppressors" have to meet a specific sound reduction level to satisfy OSHA that they can be called true "sound suppressors". It doesn't mean that you must have a silencer in CA.

I wish someone would tell me why OSHA hasn't addressed firearm "noise". Probably because the law is against them. Unless, of course you have the $200 then it's OK if you damage your own or someone else's hearing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also most nothing is illegal if you get the proper permits and pay the proper fees.
View Quote

And herein lies the problem.
YOUR BEING [b]EXTORTED[/b] TO DO ANYTHING BEYOND THE ABSOLUTE BASICS!
This is where the whole Libertarian thing comes in to play. But not to hijack the thread.
Goverment loves to steal your money, and when you find reason not to give pay the goverment for nothing, your ass gets locked up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Since a person is "taxed" when obtaining a "permit" for a sound suppressor/silencer, why isn't it a "taxation" problem if someone gets caught without the proper documentation?

Does anyone know if this issue has been taken to court? I'm, uh, not volunteering!

Also, isn't the kind of penalties incurred by possessing an unregistered suppressor WAY out of proportion to other Tax violations?
I thought there was this thing in our legal system about ...mmm, I have forgotten the term, basically having unequal punishment for similar criimes.

Any ideas?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top