Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 9:59:46 AM EDT
Apparently it is legal to have a muzzle break on a post-ban rifle as long as the break is permanently affixed to a non-threaded barrel.

Therefore, is it also legal to have a flash suppressor permanently affixed in the same manner on a post-ban rifle?
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#1]
No. Usually. [>:/]

A flash suppressor is considered ONE of the the evil features of a semiauto assault rifle.

The others include:
protruding pistol grip
removable magazine
folding/collapsable stock
and a bayonet lug

You can have only two of the above and remain legal.

You could remove entirely the pistol grip and attach a flash suppressor, or permanently attach the magazine to do the same. But why?

edited because---->Okay...why didn't the confused icon work? Now I really am confused. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Jonnie:  No.  The removable magazine is not A feature, it is THE feature.

A legal post-ban can have a removable magazine and ONE feature.

You could remove the pistol grip and attach a flash suppressor (but only if the OD was not 22mm, which would make it also a grenade launcher).

Or, you could make the magazine non-detachable, which removes the rifle entirely from the purview of the 94 assault weapons ban.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Circuits,

You're correct. I knew as I was anwering that there was something I was wrong about/forgetting. I just couldn't put my finger on it. Stupid me. Got's to be most careful, especially in this forum. [:(]

edited because of "stupid me" again
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The only postban semi rifle I'm aware of that comes with a legal flash suppressor is the Springfield M1A.  (no pistol grip.)
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
On a postban you must have a muzzle break, not a flash supressor. This is definately not one of those things to take a chance on!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
coltmannwk:  Did you not read the foregoing responses?  The flash suppressor is legal if you remove your pistol grip, or if the rifle is not subject to the AW ban by virtue of not having a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#7]
also a mini 14 as long as it didnt have a folder/pistol grip

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't see the need for so many gun laws.  They don't even enforce the ones they have now.  All they end up doing is screwing over people who obey the laws seeing as how if I was going to do something illegal I wouldnt be following the gun laws anyway.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Can we beat the following horse once more.....

A pre ban mini, by the above description CAN have all evil features IF it was done prior to the law???
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Since a mini-14 didn't usually come with a flash suppressor or pistol grip, most of them, unless modified by their owners prior to the ban, do not qualify as grandfathered, pre-ban rifles.

A Mini-14 would have to have been configured with at least two "evil features" on or before 9/13/94 in order to have been grandfathered.  If it was never built into a "saw" configuration before that time, it's not considered a grandfathered semi assault weapon under the letter of the law.

Now, if it's been sitting in your gunsafe since the 70's, there's no way the ATF can prove you never put a pistol grip and flash hider on it, for a lark, in November of '82, then switched it back without telling anyone - which would legally make it a grandfathered "saw".

Crazy laws make for crazy fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top