Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 4:58:17 AM EDT
Hello to everyone this morning.  I am new to this board but have enjoyed it a great deal.
If I installed a non-pinned telescopic stock
(Functional) on my ar-15 how to I do this legally to comply with BATF guidelines.

Also I would like to construct a semi-auto version of a Colt Commando.  Again how do I comply with BATF guidelines to insure the legality of both firearms.  The Commando would have a 11.5" barrel and fuctional telescopic stock, however the action would be semi-auto only.  

Any advice would be appreciatd.  I live in the state of Louisiana if that is of any benefit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Short version of the answer is that the telescoping stock will need to be on a lower receiver that was lawfully possessed as a completely assembeled semiautomatic assault weapon on 9/13/94 (date of the 94 cime bill).

The 11.5 barrel will need to be registered as a short barreled rifle (SBR) which requires a tax stamp and seperate forms to be filed and wait for approval.

I'm sure others can give a more complete answer but this will give you some info to start on (try the search function) while you wait for the other answers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh god, not this question again!

Just drill it and pin it and have fun!

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually the ATF will love you more if you weld the CAR stock in the open position and just put on a 16in barrrel [:)]

The other choice is to remove the gas tube assembley so its not semi-auto anymore ([url]http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/sbr-aow-pistol.html[/url]).

It would probably easier and cheaper just to buy a pre-ban rifle and reconfigure it though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
What about welding or pinning it in a partially open position, say about halfway?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The definition of semiautomatic assault rifle 921(a)(30)(B) doesn't say anything about the length of the stock itself, just says "a folding or telescoping stock".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top