Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 8:25:23 AM EDT
Simple question really. Are open bolt firing semi-auto rifles legal?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Simple answer , no

There are a few open bolt semis "grandfathered" in before the ATF ruling in the early 80s
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it because the available guns using the open-bolt design all fell into AW bucket because of the gun design in itself (semi-auto versions of sub-guns?)or is the open bolt of itself a no-no?

I can see where the design isn't particularly useful in non sub-gun applications.  Lock time has too be ridiculous and trigger pull has to be less than maatch quality, but other than that why are they badd?  Easy conversion to full auto?

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.....If

it was imported or made before the ATF changed the rules. There are a few European open bolt semi 22's that were imported, Voere etc...

The advantage of the open bolt semi is the simplicity of manufacture. No firing pin etc and simple trigger mechanism. The bad thing is they can be converted to FA alot easier than a normal Semi-auto hence the no more OB semi's allowed ..
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just wondering because my I came across some blueprints of an Achtisson (spelling is wrong) Light Machine Gun mod. I have quite a bit of technical proficiency and I figured that I could modify it for semi only and  mabey just mabey I could make something that no one (or almost no one) else had.

Oh well...
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Open bolts fall under the "readily converted" to full-auto part of the law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top