Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 4:43:49 PM EDT
Are there Federal, or other such laws restricting the amount of ammunition that an individual is allowed to possess at any given time?

If so, is the figure based on total ammo, or total per caliber?

If not, just tell me to STFU and buy as much ammo as I want [:)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I think there is only a certain amount of powder you are allowed to transport. Never heard of limit on ammo.

Probably is, but I never heard of it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
no laws on loaded ammo...all kinds of regs on bulk powder. how much room do you have in your home? when you cant move from the couch to the frig to get a beer then you have to much
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The Uniform Fire Code, which most cities have adopted, places limits on powder and primers.  There is no limit set for loaded small arms ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
What EOD said except there are some jurisdictions that do restrict the amount of loaded ammo that may be stored in both business and residential structures. They may also require a permit to store the ammo.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
While there may not be a federal law, check your local state laws.  Here in MA I beleive the limit is 10,000rnds of loaded ammuniton.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe there is a limit of 10,000 primers per residence, but you can transfer 20,000 (figure that out). But not any laws regarding how much ammo you can have, that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Uniform Fire Code, which most cities have adopted, places limits on powder and primers.  There is no limit set for loaded small arms ammunition.
View Quote

could they say, well with all that ammo is the powder and the primers inside thus making it against the law?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

could they say, well with all that ammo is the powder and the primers inside thus making it against the law?
View Quote

No, the Code specifically states that loaded small arms ammunition is a category by itself and that there is no limit on storage.  The reason is that small arms ammunition does not present a hazard to firefighters in a fire.  Their normal turnout gear provides sufficient protection.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in a very rural area in the mountains. Local fire protection is by the CDF (California dept of forestry). I went down to the local station house one day and spoke to the capitain in charge about storage of powder, primers and loaded ammo. He aked how much I had (it was substantially more than mentioned in this thread), and if it was in the same room as my firearms. He seemed unconcerned about the amount, only that it was stored properly.

He said they'd save the room with the guns [:)]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

NO,it DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top