Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2003 10:21:22 PM EDT
Sorry friends, Looks like curiosity helps me procrastinate from studying for exams...

1. I purchase a pre-86 RDIAS & fire control parts.

2. I purchase a LEO lower stamped "Safe-Fire-Auto/Burst" from an officer.

3. I maintain all post ban compliances i.e. crowned barrel, no lug, trapdoor stock.

Is this doable?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sorry friends, Looks like curiosity helps me procrastinate from studying for exams...

1. I purchase a pre-86 RDIAS & fire control parts.
View Quote

If you do the standard paper (CLEO sign-off, approved Form 4) this will be okay. Otherwise, no. The DIASs listed for sale in SHotgun news are NOT legal to actually put in an AR series weapon, or even possess if you own an AR-type weapon. Only DIASs that are registered as machineguns pursuant to the National Firearms Act may be legally used to convert a weapon to full auto.

2. I purchase a LEO lower stamped "Safe-Fire-Auto/Burst" from an officer.
View Quote

Probably not. A LEO only Assault Weapon lower [b]MAY[/b] be legal, if enough AW features are removed from the weapon, and the lower is not one specifically listed in the ban (AR-15). However, if the lower was originally manufactured as an MG, and that is why it is marked with FA markings, then that lower is a registered MG, registered on a Form 10 to a PD or dealer, most likely, and is likely stolen, so you would be facing two or three felonies for buying it. If it was just marked for cosmetic reasons after manufacture, you might be okay. Given the possible penalties, it would be far, far cheaper to just use a cheap postban lower for your host gun for the legal DIAS (see below). I would stay very, very far away from this lower.

3. I maintain all post ban compliances i.e. crowned barrel, no lug, trapdoor stock.
View Quote

That doesn't matter is the overall weapon is a legal machinegun. A machinegun is not a rifle or a shotgun for the purposes of the 94 AW ban, so if you have a legal, registered DIAS, the host weapon for the DIAS can have all of the evil features you want.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A machinegun is not a rifle or a shotgun for the purposes of the 94 AW ban, so if you have a legal, registered DIAS, the host weapon for the DIAS can have all of the evil features you want.
View Quote

Actually, the 94 AW ban doesn't apply because the weapon is no longer 'semi auto', not because it's no longer a rifle or shotgun (which it still is).  An M16 is both a rifle and a machinegun.  A full auto striker 12 would be both a shotgun and a machinegun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top