Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2003 9:57:39 AM EDT
Hi, I tried searching back but couldn't find anything about it, and the state laws confuse me a bit.

I'm interested in getting an AR style rifle (bushy or armalite) or maybe a FAL. Now I know I can't have certain features, but would I be able to order a new DSA FAL or an Armalite or Bushmaster legally? Is the 10 round magazine forbidden in NY state because I can't remember if they said it was 5 or 10 rounds during my hunter safety course.

I spoke to a guy in a gun shop and he said that it has to be a 10 round mag in any post-ban rifle, and that it was illegal to put say a 20 or 30 round pre-ban mag in post ban rifles. I wasn't too sure about that.

Basically, I just want to get a "black rifle" while staying within the laws :) Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all BridgerNY, welcome to AR15.com.  It's good to see more New Yorkers here.  As for New York law, any semi-automatic rifle that is legal at the federal level is legal at the state level.  Meaning, according to NYS, you can order as many post-ban Bushmasters or Armalites as your heart desires.  Not only that, but you can buy as many pre-ban 20/30 round magazines for those rifles as you want too.  That dealer you spoke with is a dope... which doesn't surprise me as I don't have a very high opinion of FFL dealers (may apologies to you good FFL's), most I've dealt with are a level or two BELOW a used car salesman.  Most dealers don't know their asses from their elbows when it comes to "assault weapons" and you should always keep that in mind when dealing with them.  It is completely fine to use a pre-ban, over-10 round magazine in either a pre-ban or post-ban AR (or AK, FAL, etc.).

Get the black rifle.  You love it and it won't be your last.  Hope this helped some.

BMAN
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much! That's what I thought it was, but there's so much conflicting information and that legalese gets confusing. Now just a little bit more saving up...
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The advice givin is correct.  However may I suggest you go here [url]http://www.looseleaflaw.com/catalog.asp?CategoryIn=11&SubCategoryIn=35[/url] and get the book Firearms and Weapons Laws Gun Control in NY.  It has just about everything you ever dreamed of in it.  I have this book and have found it a vary valuable resource.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't remember if they said it was 5 or 10 rounds during my hunter safety course.
View Quote

If you hunt with a semi-auto in NY you are limited to a five round magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top