Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2003 9:15:25 PM EDT
i apologize if there is already a thread about this floating around out there. but why is it that the ability to change the length of the buttstock a problem? thanks for the help and happy shooting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer: It makes liberals wet themselves.

Long answer: For some reason, the gun grabbers think that with a collapsable stock, an AR-15, or an AK-47 will easily be hidden in a coat or jacket.
And anything like that is unacceptable to them, so they made it one of the 5 evil features in the "Ominbus Crime Bill of 1994".

The truth of the matter is that if you have ANY idea of what you are looking for, a rifle stuffed inside a jacket is easy to see.

But, as we know from the shooting in LA last week, you can even get an SKS past idiots who have no idea of what they are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 4:01:20 AM EDT
[#2]
SKS shooting in LA last week?

oh crap, i see another ban [BD]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:37:54 AM EDT
[#3]
One other reason that I've seen lately is that, with some guns, a folding stock allows the stock to be [i]completely[/i] folded to the side. This has the cosmetic and functional effect of making the gun have no stock at all. The liberals see this as a problem since it is supposedly conductive to indiscriminante fire, as opposed to aimed fire. Interestingly, however, is that there does not appear to be a law again removing the stock altother. Anyone know what the legality of having a "quick disconnect" stock? Put the stock on for aimed fire, pop the stock off for unaimed fire. That's legal, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Can someone point me to the legislation that defines what features of a stock are prohibited?

I want to buid up a "mini-spacegun", and do not want to commit any crimes!

I really like the looks of these AR-10s
[url]http://www.radomski.us/njhp/ar10.htm[/url]
i would like to make a carbine length ar-15 with similar looks. I would like the stock to be adjustable in cant and length, because winter gets mighty cold and we wear a LOT more clothes, and I would like a shorter stock for snapshooting at varmints vs. long range shooting from a rest.

It appears to me these stocks have adjustable butt pads. That's not the same as a "telescoping" stock, but the function appears identical.

Anyone have any tips?

Pete
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i apologize if there is already a thread about this floating around out there. but why is it that the ability to change the length of the buttstock a problem? thanks for the help and happy shooting.
View Quote

IIRC, ATF did a study about "sporting use" guns, and from that they created a list of features on guns that differentiated guns with "no sporting use" to guns with "sporting uses." Not surprisingly, the AWB uses these features as a basis for determining whether a gun is an "assault weapon" or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top