Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 3:11:17 AM EDT
I was talking with a friend who has an SWD M11/nine pistol. He says that it will fire when he pulls the trigger, and it fires when the trigger is released. We were arguing wheather this would be an illegal weapon or not. I say it is not only illegal, but dangerous as once the trigger is pulled, he is almost commited to fire an additional shot when the trigger is released. He says it is not illegal. What do yall think?
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I also have a Cobray SWD M11-9. I've never had any trouble out of mine and it functions flawlessly. Tell your friend he should take his gun to a gunsmith and have it fixed. It is illegal to have a weapon fire more than once with one pull of the trigger. Not to mention it could be dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#2]
It is probably legal; unless ATF can get it to fire twice  with one [b]pull[/b] of the trigger...  Unsafe, probably, but still legal.

There's some guy selling kits for AR's to make it fire this way also.  One when you pull and one when you release...
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Ahh, but here's the rub.  The legality of the gun would be in question in the eyes of a liberal, and some moderates.  An ATF agent may seek to pursue this issue in a court of law, with your friend up on some sort of felony charge.  The gun would be temporarily forfeit, and in the end, likely lost or damaged beyond repair.

Have him take it to a reliable gunsmith, and avoid the possible legal implications.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#4]
What you describe is "doubling", and while it's a malfunction, it's also illegal.  Its caused because the disconnector is releasing the bolt before the trigger sear has engaged.

vicg1:  ATF considers one "pull" to be a squeeze and release returning to rest position.

It's not dangerous of itself if you know about it and keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.  Your friend should get his worn disconnector replaced.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]
O.K., I talked with my friend again and he told me that Texas Penal code defines a machinegun as follows: " machine gun " means any firearm that is capable of firing more than two shots automatically, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. I looked up this statue (46.05) and sure enough that is what it says. Does federal gun laws override the state definition of machine gun? He says he is gonna keep his pistola like it is cause state law says he can. Now what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, 2 shots with one pull is a machinegun under federal law, and your friend can still go to the pokey.  If he wants to keep it broken and illegal, that's his business, I guess.

All the texas law means is that he won't face STATE charges for a machinegun, but the federal law is not overridden - they both apply.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I know he is playing with fire, and pretty much told him so. Some people are hard headed and he'll argue with me about this until the shit hits the fan I guess. But don't worry about me, I do know better and will be nowhere around when and if it bites him, and told him so. He has no computer, so I have passed the opinions of you great guys on to him. Maybe he will realize that it is not worth the possible nightmare that could happen
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Ask him if his gun is worth $10,000 and 10 years in jail...
[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top