Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2001 10:06:58 PM EDT
I have a major problem regarding my AW California registration. I applied for my registration in the beginning of December and have not received my papers yet. My problem is that since then ( 2 months )I turned in my application I have moved to another city. Can anyone provide me with some advice on how I can update my new address with DOJ.

From what I have read on some of other posts DOJ is currently working on applications received at the end of the year so it's totally possible that they tried to deliver it but it was returned. I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but the USPS only forwards mail for one month. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mac
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you renew the USPS forwarding application?

Try calling the DOJ, they can tell you if your paperwork has been processed, and maybe if it was returned. They were very helpful when I called last week.

(916)227-3274

Edited because I couldn't remember the phone #.

Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a major problem regarding my AW California registration. I applied for my registration in the beginning of December and have not received my papers yet. My problem is that since then ( 2 months )I turned in my application I have moved to another city. Can anyone provide me with some advice on how I can update my new address with DOJ.

From what I have read on some of other posts DOJ is currently working on applications received at the end of the year so it's totally possible that they tried to deliver it but it was returned. I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but the USPS only forwards mail for one month. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mac
View Quote

Unless it changed *VERY* recently or is different in CA (Everything else is different), the USPS forwards mail for 6 months.

However, some folks (particularly government agencies) request that their mail not be fowarded period. That may be your problem. In some instances they want their mail returned if you do not live when they have you listed.

I wish I could offer more advice but am unable to do so.

PigPen
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Take OE's advice about calling DOJ.  The ladies who answered my calls were freindly and helpful, and really will try to help you as best they can, considering their workload.  Make sure you have a current forwarding address on file with the USPS. [green]You have to notify DOJ of your change of address on the AW registration anyway.[/green]

(Edit in [/green]GREEN[/green].)
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information, I will call the DOJ first thing tomorrow for two reasons. First, to provide them with a new address (where they can come to confiscate my weapons when the time comes) and second, to find out the status of my application. A buddy of mine just recieved his papers this last week and he turned his application in after I did! Anyways, thanks guys for your advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Mac
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#5]
When you call them, be nice. It sounds like they're getting swamped. And, if you piss them off it could mean a "special" review of your application, and we wouldn't want that, would we?
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Mission accomplished! I called DOJ today and spoke with a very pleasant and courteous lady who was very helpfull in resolving my problem. After just a minute or two of looking for my app she was able to locate it in the "red flagged" bin designated for further review.

She said my app was red flagged because I provided to general of a description of my AR-15, simply listing it as a "AR-15". I listed my AR like this on recommendation from some other AR15.com members. Anyways, all's well that stays well, and everything (hopefully) will be fine. Thanks again,

Mac
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a note for other that may read this.

Your application WILL be red flagged if you list a rifle as an AR-15, AK-47, etc.

Why? Because the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons ban banned certain firearms by NAME such as Colt AR-15, Poly Tech AK-47, Maadi AK-47, etc.

While a Bushmaster XM-15E2S is an AR-15 family weapon it is NOT by NAME an AR-15. All previous "AR-15's" were supposed to be registered during the last ban (Roberti-Roos).
Calling it an AR-15 would cause a red flag where as the manufacturers name, such as Colt Sporter, does not as it is not BY NAME an AR-15.

The same applies for an Olympic Arms PCR rifle, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top