Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2001 4:02:36 PM EDT
O.K.  I traded for a preban Rock Island Armory/Sendra today & after test firing it, I opened it up to clean it and realized I have a:
M16 carrier,hammer,disconnect,selector and trigger.  I removed all offensive parts and put them in a plastic bag. The receiver has not been modified and there was no drop in sear delay.  My question is, when I sell this- can I sell it as a stripped lower with parts SEPERATE to complete it(WITH disclosure that parts are 16's)  or am I going to have to buy new parts to go with it and sell the 16 stuff to another buyer?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe you will have to buy AR15 parts and install them before selling. And the 16 fire control components seperate. (unless you sold it in Idaho)
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The BATF would consider the mere possession of those M16 parts and the AR15, especially in an assembled state, as an illegal, unregistered machine gun.  Even disassembled, you could get popped for it.  Get rid of the M16 parts now, and either obtain AR15 parts or sell the stripped lower.  If you sell the stripped lower and the parts in a bag together, you have still sold a machinegun to someone else.

See this URL:  [url]http://old.ar15.com/docs/AR15-M16Parts/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
RIA loved to convert Senda semis to full auto.

My question is why in the world would RIA overstamp a semi auto gun.

Sell the full auto parts on E-Bay as a set and apply the monies to semi auto parts
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Got a shovel?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Place M16 parts in bag, with several rocks. Apply said bag to nearest deep body of water.[:)]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#6]
take m16 parts take large sledge hammer bang away
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I am amazed that you didn't "check under the hood" befor you bought it!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:08:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Before someone says that ignorance of the law is no excuse, let me say that I am well versed on that particular tenent of the law. However, in general, in my part of the country and I suspect in yours as well, it results in the defendant's being excused. In nearly all cases, either the prosecutor or the judge will take lack of intent to break the law, into account and will not go forward with the prosecution, if a reasonable average citizen could not reasonably have been expected to know that they were breaking the Law. In other cases, the jury usually will.

There are literally thousands (perhaps tens of thousands ??? who knows?) of AR15 type rifles with unsuspecting owners, that have M16 parts in them! Do you really think that the Gessstapo want all of those tax paying citizens who are guilty of no other crime and with friends and families who vote, prosecuted and put in jail?? Even in todays lunatic world, when something stranger than yesterdays event is sure to happen toda, I do not thing so.

Now a person who **knowingly** and intentionally violates the law by putting say an M16 carrier assembly in his (or her) AR15, might get prosecuted if they were charged with another coincidental charge and the part was discovered....which is another unlikely event unless the person was charged by the BATF for some other infraction. IOW, if you are a drug dealer, importer, or manufacturer perhaps you should know the different parts and check to be sure that none of them are in your AR.

If OTOH, you are a doctor, lawyer, Indian Chief, cook or bottle washer, who in their right mind is going to believe that you knew the difference?.....Even if the highly unlikely happens and an authority figure finds out?

My advice would never be to encourage breaking the law (which is probably a crime in itsself), commiting treason, becoming a tax protester or any other high profile person. These people are shot first! OTOH, I do not intend to become an armorer or weapons expert and go inspect all of the internal parts on my AR15s. I'm just too ignorant on the subject I guess. And that's what I would tell the judge......For a hell of a lot less than it would "cost to defend myself against the massive Federal Government" (more in the neighborhood of what it would cost to change out the parts that you mentioned).

Those who run around willy nilly shouting, "The sky is falling..The sky is falling" are not doing the rest of us a service......but then I don't suppose that is their intent in the first place. To the Will Nilly shouters, I would say, "Not likely".

Sometimes ignorance is a defense. Don't ruin it by helping publicize the details of the law and stampeding the novices.

PigPen
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies. My intent is to sell these with full disclosure as to what they are. I was a FFL for six years and have a number of friends in local, state and Federal(SS) LE and the letter of the law and the application is based on intent of action. I possess all the necassary chemicals in my home to formulate explosive nitro glycerin- just because the ingredients are present in NO WAY indicates that I would ever do such.
  I didn't notice the hook on the rear of the hammer until I disassembled the rifle for cleaning- a trip to my gunsmith comfirmed that they are 16 parts. I may sell the receiver but it will be filled with new 15 parts!
              Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#11]
if they can prove u knew they where m16 parts but u kept em anyway then your hoses
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Pigpen -

Before someone says that ignorance of the law is no excuse, let me say that I am well versed on that particular tenent of the law. However, in general, in my part of the country and I suspect in yours as well, it results in the defendant's being excused.
View Quote

Ignorance will NOT get you off the hook, but a lack of the requisite level of intent will.  However if you have knowlwedge you possess an AR15 and an M16 part or parts, you have the requisite intent to be prosecuted and convicted.  See US v. Staples.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
if they can prove u knew they where m16 parts but u kept em anyway then your hoses
View Quote

Quoted:

Ignorance will NOT get you off the hook, but a lack of the requisite level of intent will. However if you have knowlwedge you possess an AR15 and an M16 part or parts, you have the requisite intent to be prosecuted and convicted. See US v. Staples.
View Quote

I know Nuth-eeng! I am shocked!!! How could I be expected to know? I am not a gun expert! What is unusual about them officer!! Why I never!!  @&$#%)!! I certainly would have changed them if I had any idea! I never intended...why I would be scared to try ! I just glad the damn thang didn't go off. Is it dangerous that way judge??

PigPen
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#15]
ALL YOUR M16 PARTS ARE BELONG TO US!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Up until the let 1970's or even later a lot of semi-auto only AR-15's left the factory with a full round house of M-16 parts.  At the time it was considered legal because the guns didn't have the sear to make it full-auto.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Just like with the various naughties under the '94 AW restrictions, I doubt that local LEOs would even know the difference 99.99% of the time.  Unless you're planning on running up to a BATF agent and slapping him across the face with the thing, you probably have plenty of time to decide what you are going to do with the parts and receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top