Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2002 5:57:58 AM EDT
I need some advice about what to do. I had bid on a scope on ebay (lost the bid) and the seller "drgobble" emailed me and said he would sell me an identical scope, outside of ebay. At the time, he had positive feedback as a buyer. I sent him a postal money order, which, I assume he cashed. Many emails later, I just get excuses, no money back and no scope. Now, his phone is disconnected, negative feedback X3 as follows:
"drgobble 's feedback  Feedback Help | FAQ  
Feedback 1 - 4 of 4

leave feedback  If you are drgobble :  drgobble was the Seller = S  
for drgobble  Respond to comments  drgobble was the Buyer = B  

Left by  Date  Item#  S/B  
hmarks(18)  Dec-30-02 19:56:48 PST 1976086109 S
Complaint : Sent a money order on Dec 5, 2002. Still have not received scope. Just excuses.  
122250(2)  Dec-28-02 22:34:27 PST 1971698226 S
Complaint : Sent him payment but the sorry worm cashed money orders but didn't send scope  
deweydavidmartin(10)  Dec-26-02 12:09:58 PST 1583011168 S
Complaint : I filed a Fraud @ EBAY - Cash my check&no shipping - just promises and excusses  
fishingrodreel(51)  Nov-21-02 16:09:43 PST 1970167766

The post office says that I have to wait to verify that the M.O. was cashed, and by who.
What would your next step be?

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, ebay's fraud protection does not cover you for this type of circumstance. I got similarly ripped off bidding on a tactical holster that the seller offered me after the auction.  I got a piece of sh*t in the mail and ebay told me to piss off.

I would try to contact local law enforcement wherever you sent the money order.  Also, contact the other buyers he appears to have ripped off and coordinate your actions.

Where is the seller?  If he is near me I can kick some ass for you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
ebay's fraud protection does not cover you for this type of circumstance.
View Quote

Ebay's so-called fraud protection isn't worth anything anyway, so you didn't lose much by buying outside of Ebay.  I think I've sent 11 in so far, and they haven't paid a penny.  Filling-out their 2 page form was a waste of time.

The Post Office's fraud site is at:

[url]www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/[/url]

If you follow the links, you can file a mail fraud complaint.  I've done that several times after paying with a USPS MO, and I've never heard back from them.  It's probably a waste of time, but it's better than doing nothing.z
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the 1-800 number from the Post Office.  Call and see  if the mo was cashed.  IIRC, you can purchase (of course!) a photo copy of the cashed mo.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
If you used the US Mail in any part of the transaction (If you mailed the MO you're covered, if you used UPS/FEDEX, etc. you are out of luck) you can file a Postal Fraud complaint with the USPS. Check out the USPS website for more information. The fact that you used a USPS MO isn't important, if you used the mail in anyway to deal with the seller, get the forms to file a fraud complaint. The USPS takes mail fraud seriously, and more than one Ebay seller has been taken task by the USPS.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Has anyone ever really gotten money back after filing a USPS fraud complaint, or do you personally know someone who has?

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]
imcoltsguy - To answer your question, I've been burned twice by fraudulent sellers to the tune of $400+ total, both times I used a USPS money order.  I filed the proper complaints/reports, notified the proper people, and I'll still never see a dime of it.  USPS money orders offer no REAL protection, it's all theoretical.  You never realize just how theoretical it is until you're relying on it to recoup stolen money.  Also, I've never heard of anyone actually recovering their stolen funds paid via USPS money order.

In hindsight, it would have been better had I sent cash, at least I would've saved the money order purchase fees, hehe!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
BMAN, I've never heard of it happening either. The only successes I know of came through filing with the police dept in the seller's location, and then only through the buyer's persistence. And more than a few AR15.com'ers have helped in these situations too.

HARV, do you want to post the seller's name and address here? Maybe someone in their vicinity can help in some way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Has anyone ever really gotten money back after filing a USPS fraud complaint, or do you personally know someone who has?

View Quote

Sure do...ME! About 2 years ago had a deal to purchase a number of coins for my collection. Sent the man a personal check and never got any coins, or responses to letters, email or phone calls. Filed a fraud complaint...USPS apparently had a few other complaints concerning this individual and went a-knocking on his door. I heard nothing for about a year then all of a sudden, coins show up. Apparently, the contact by the USPS investigators shook the seller up and either refunded money or sent coins to everyone to get the USPS off his back.

Do not confuse the use of USPS MO with fraud. As far as I know there are only a few reasons that the USPS will refund the amount of a MO, which include things like theft of MO, loss, forgery and the like. IIRC, fraud is not included as a reason for a refund, as is the case with many MO vendors. It would be the same as sending cash or a personal check. Your bank won't care if it was fraud or not, as long as theft, loss or forgery were not involved.

There are many instances of just threatening to file a fraud complaint is enough to cause the seller to come clean, as well as sellers coming clean shortly after the complaint is filed.

If you're screwed, why wouldn't you take advanteage of it? It only takes a few minutes and doesn't preclude you from taking other actions. It seems that USPS takes these things seriously, however, realistically it depends on the amount of $$ and the number of complaints. But who knows, the seller may have other complaints and yours is the one that puts it on the list to do something about.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Today, I found six other victims of "drgobble" from ebay. I have filed a complaint with the following resources:
Jefferson County,KY Fraud Office
United States Postal Fraud
FBI Internet Fraud Div.

I want to smoke this guy out and get him jailed!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Good! More is always better in these cases!  The more victims and more LE Organizations involved, the higher the probability that something will be done about it.

Have you tried to get the other victims to file reports to the same groups?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Harv,

Did you contact his apartment complex?

Bob
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I did call the apt complex and they could not give out any info. They did take a message and would attempt to deliver it. I now have his place of employment and tomorrow I get his supervisor and the State folks involved. I hope this detective Thomas visits him tomorrow. I have also tied the FBI internet folks to the detectives to the Mail fraud guys. I hope my tax dollars are at work quickly. I wish that I could go there.
Thanks for your help and the boards suggestions,
Harvey
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Youre lucky thats all you got burned for.  I bid on a Sony Digital Camcorder.  But something didnt look right.  All his feedback responses were psoitive but they were for little things and also he was mostly a buyer.  All of a sudden he comes up with 20 $1k+ camcorders.  People are bidding on them like crazy.  I actually won one but didnot send any money.  I offered escrow and he had a fit.  Well the little Fu** stole over $10000.  He was also in Canada and most of his victims American.  Emails started flying and lots of reporting to authorities.  Someone actually drove to the address and found a mail drop.  Did not hear what finally happened.

I also bid on a ridiculously cheap Benelli.  Same MO, mail drop and multiple listings and no weapons.  I again felt weird and cancelled the check.  The BATF and local authorities were called and they paid this weasel a visit.  Got my envelop back unopened marked return to sender.  I had canceled the check anyway.

Buyer beware.  Get Escrow for high priced items.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Harv, even though this guy is a weasel, you want to choose your words carefully when you talk to his (or her?) employer. You don't want to get a "libel" or "interference with occupation" suit out of this. Even though you would probably win, it would be a hassle. Sounds like you've done some good detective work to find him. Good luck. Let us know how this comes out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool harv, looks like you got the ball rolling; the one that will roll over and flatten this dirtbag.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Kentucky now has a Unified Criminal Justice Information System that ties the following State agencies together. The State police, local sheriffs, Attorney General and others. This persons activities been reported, and I understand that the use of State resources (computer)is limited and there is a penalty for misuse. I will try to verify this on Monday. Now, I not only want retribution, I want prosecution. I want to make sure that he is made an example of what will/can happen to a less than honorable seller/trader.
I want to thank the board members for your support.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Today was a wonderful day. I received an overnight letter containing a money order for my funds. There was no explaination, no excuse, nothing. I guess that the pressure from the enforcement folks and other victims did work.
Thanks for your inputs.

Harv
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Today was a wonderful day. I received an overnight letter containing a money order for my funds. There was no explaination, no excuse, nothing. I guess that the pressure from the enforcement folks and other victims did work.
Thanks for your inputs.

Harv
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top