Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2002 11:45:22 PM EDT
Greetings,

I'm planning on registering my pre-ban Oly Arms AR-15 lower receiver as an SBR.  I have a 9mm 11.5"/5.5" barrelled upper to which I am planning to attach an AWC CQB suppressor after the 5.5" flash hider is removed.  The suppressor has already been approved, I have the tax stamp in hand [:)]

With the very helpful post by SBR7_11 in the "Rimfires and Pistol Calibers" board, I know I have to fill out two copies of ATF Form 1, each with a photo and fingerprint card attached.  I will also fill out the citizenship certification form, as recommended at [url]http://www.titleii.com/[/url].

My questions:

1) Am I permitted to have any number of short-barreled upper receivers for this registered lower?  I may want a shorty CAR-15 upper in the future.

2) If I'm going to buy other SBR uppers in the future, how do I go about ordering them?  Do I just send a copy of the tax stamp to the manufacturer/dealer?

3) When filling out the section dealing with "Why you intend to make firearm", is "Firearms collecting" acceptable?  I don't think that writing, "I want an SBR because it's kewl and all the other mall ninjas have them," will cut the mustard.

Thanks,
Gabe
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
1) Yes
2) You buy them like any upper, like any firearms replacement parts
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#2]
1) As long as you've got a legal SBR to mount them on, and don't actually mount a short upper on your non-SBR AR's, I think you'd be OK.

2) If the seller demands a copy of your Form 1 or Form 4, you can choose to provide it or shop elsewhere.  Most big makers will want a copy of the F1/F4, although they're not legally required to see it before selling you an upper.

3) "All lawful purposes" is a good catchall.  If you want to be more descriptive, try "Collecting, shooting and investing"
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Im planning on doing the same thing with an old Preban OLY lower, please keep us updated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top