Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2002 3:29:50 PM EDT
I've purchased a gun on an online auction and the seller lives in another state.  I've arranged through my local FFL dealer to send payment and a copy of my dealer's FFL to the seller so the gun can be shipped to me.  My dealer advised that I need to have the seller send a copy of his FFL or his local dealer's FFL to complete the transaction properly according to ATF rules.  The seller says he has never had to provide a copy of an FFL when selling to someone.  I've emailed ATF for the correct process.  Anyone aware of the proper process or does it vary from state to state ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If this is a rifle, have you thought about just driving over to FL and picking it up from the seller? That is a 100% legal process.
Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The gun is in Connecticut and I'm in Alabama.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The gun is in Connecticut and I'm in Alabama.
View Quote

Sorry about that, all the FFL's in your text made me think it was in FL......I've been at work way tooooo long today!
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
A non licensee in any state may ship a long gun to an FFL in any state.  No copies of FFLs are required.  This is from the ATF regs and verified by my inspector.  He also pointed out an FFL is NOT required to provide a copy of his license to a non-licensee and is foolish if he does so.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#5]
ONLY the sending dealer needs a copy of the license of the receiving dealer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Responses above are correct.  The SELLING dealer is not required to provide an ink signed copy of their FFL to the BUYING dealer.

Try getting a copy of Davidson's FFL some time when you BUY a gun from them as a dealer.  It won't happen.

Many dealers wrongly demand a license from the selling dealer.  It isn't a bad idea mind you, but it is not required.  

Interestingly, the ATF in their dealer seminars, usually tells dealers that they have to have an ink signed copy of the sellers FFL, in direct contradiction of their own regulations.

I always require the FFL number of the selling dealer, unless they are a big wholesale firm such as Davidsons or RSR etc., to verify where it is coming from, but not an ink signed copy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've purchased a gun on an online auction and the seller lives in another state.  I've arranged through my local FFL dealer to send payment and a copy of my dealer's FFL to the seller so the gun can be shipped to me.  My dealer advised that I need to have the seller send a copy of his FFL or his local dealer's FFL to complete the transaction properly according to ATF rules.  The seller says he has never had to provide a copy of an FFL when selling to someone.  I've emailed ATF for the correct process.  Anyone aware of the proper process or does it vary from state to state ?
View Quote

Varies more I think from dealer to dealer. I ran into much the same problem on my first online firearm purchase. The first place I went to said they wouldn't send a copy of their FFL unless they could verify the receiver of their documentation (and shipper of the firearm) was an FFL dealer. The second place said they would not send a copy of their FFL without the seller sending a copy of their FFL FIRST! The reason I was given was that someone could copy and use the license for illegal means.....

I find it amazing just how much of a pain in the ass the government and the ATF have made things with their regulations (and the resultingly insane amounts of CYA by dealers to ensure compliance)....I figure it's yet another tool in unduly restricting the legal trade of firearms...

Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The receiving dealer does NOT need ANY documentation to be legal.  The sender need not be a dealer unless it is a handgun.  MAny dealers are just anal about it and don't want to bother.  When you find one of those, take your business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless restricted by state or local law any firearm may be shipped by an unlicensed person to a licensee in any state under federal law. A copy of the receiving dealer's FFL is not required.  

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...  The sender need not be a dealer unless it is a handgun...
View Quote

The sender does not need to be a dealer unless they are shipping a handgun through USPS.  The sender can ship a handgun through any other common carrier to an FFL.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Correct.  I left out the USPS part!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top