Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2002 4:35:29 PM EDT
Is it possible to get a FFL so I can purchase guns mainly for myself and maybe a couple for friends and family?
I have the paperwork and am getting ready to fill it out.
Any help will be greatfull.
P.S. I am not looking to get full-autos or do  anything illegal.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You might get one, provided you don't tell the ATF you just intend to buy for yourself and friends/family.  You will lose it the first time you're inspected and it's determined that's all you're doing.

An FFL is intended for those engaging in a legitimate for-profit business involving firearms, except the "Curio and Relic" Type 3 FFL, which intended for facilitating a personall firearms collection - but only those over 50 years old or specifically on the curio and relic list.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your reply.

As I stated, I'm not looking to pull a fast one on anyone and you reply helped.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want an FFl you might as well resign to the fact that you need a storefront. Aside from commiting to fulltime firearm sales for a business, you shouldn't have much trouble adding a firearms line to your sporting goods, pawnbrokwers, or hardware store to name a few good businesses the ATF doesn't have a problem with.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
30 years ago the big threat from the old BATF was that if you did more than a few deals a year, you were a dealer and loads of us got FFL's on the theory of avoiding prosecution. Under Clinton, they wanted to get rid of as many FFL's as they could so now ATF tries not to approve an FFL. What an ironic piece of BS.

Anybody that goes through the FFL process is obviously not a threat to anyone, they ought to wish that everyone gets one.

I like to buy guns for cash in state only and avoid as much government regulation as possible.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't be a licensed firearms dealer in MA if you are home based. The Civil Rights Reduction Act of 1998 took care of that. Closed about 75 percent of the licensed dealers in the state because they were FFLs based in a home. The liberals call the guys working a second job at home "kitchen table gun dealers". The claim is this is where criminals are illegally buying guns. It's a huge lie, but that didn't stop them from whipping up the soccer moms to follow their agenda.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
if a guy sold a guy ever 2 months over gunbroker, would that be enough for the GAYTF to justify yout FFL status?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#7]
An FFL is not worth the hassle if
you're only buying 3-4 guns a year.

But a C & R license can be rewarding.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not even close, nor would you save any money after paying for all of the licenses and fees involved.  If you aren't selling 20-30 a month minimum, ATF isn't gonna let you keep your license.
View Quote

Your postulation that 20-30 guns a month is required is generally wrong.  50 a YEAR is the law that is used.  I hear of FFL's barely doing that and they are still in business.

Depending on which state you operate out of, the costs can be fairly low so 5 or 10 sales will easily pay for all expenses and have a small profit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]
of all the FFLs in my area, im pretty certian now one does a 20 gun a month business. some dont sell 20 guns a year
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Check with the ATF for more info. I have been waiting for 4 months since sending in the paper work. I had a visit from the regional agent three weeks ago and he told me that I'd be issued a license. As far as the amount of business you do, that will depend on your region. The agent told me that there is no minimum by law or written policy. Read up on all the ATF info on their web site. Do not pay for any of the "get your FFl license at home" deals offered in the gun mags. I did mine with out this and it's not that hard. And yes, mine is a home based type FFL. So yes it can and is done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top