Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2002 5:19:57 AM EDT
I've seen alot of different parts kits available for an AR-15 and was wondering if it is really legal to build one. I heard that all you have to do build it to legal specs and get a lower receiver and register it as a rifle. Is this true? I have a parts set picked out and when I get the available funds I'd like to do it. Thanks for any info. BTW, this is a great lookin site!
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
100% legal to assemble from parts, but rifle must comply with current AW regulations, thus if you purchase a new lower from FFL, the rifle will have to be built as a "Post-Ban" if built as a semi auto.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks SBR, now I need to get the funds to do it. :) So I'd still have to register it and bring it in to the PD for a "safety check" or is that just pistols? Or would all the registration be taken care of when I fill out the forms for the lower? Cause the lower is considered a rifle in the eyes of the govt right? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Register?  You still live in the land of the free - you don't have to register anything.

But you will need to fill out a 4473 when you buy the lower - unless you build it yourself from scratch or an 80% forging.
View Quote

Does anybody know where instructions for building from 80% forgings can be found?
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
So where do you find 30% or 80% receivers? I can't seem to find one. I'd like to know what they look like and how much work it would be to build one of em up. I'll probably end up buying a completed one anyway but who knows. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.tanneryshopinc.homestead.com/[/url] is an excellent source for 80% complete lowers.

Go to the AR15 boards and look around in the Build It Yourself forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top