Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2002 6:04:46 AM EDT
I know its legal to build or finish a 30% lower. BUT would it be legal for me to take it to a local machine shop and pay them to do the work?

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Assuming you could find a machine shop to do it... it would be illegal since once it becomes more than %80 done and they are in possession of it and they transfer it back to you, by ATF rules they become a manufacturer.

I've never built from a %30 casting or %80 for that matter, but from what I understand once the firearm is complete, it's impossible to even find a gunsmith willing to work on it if there's ever a problem with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top