Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2002 1:01:26 AM EDT
Ok, I'm beginning to think I should fill out the paperwork, send in the $ and get myself a C&R license so I can indulge myself with all those really old firearms I've been looking at (you know the type, old mausers, etc).

I need information! (and maybe a little guidance).  I've got the ATF's website bookmarked, and I do look at it, but I've still got some questions.

1) My shithole of a state (MO) says you need a permit to purchase handguns (not a big deal, been there done that several times, just tired of giving them more of my ammo money -- it disspears fast enough as is).  If I have a C&R license, and come across a handgun on the C&R list that I want, do I still need to go down to the sherrifs oriface and deal with them?  Or can I just order the darned thing because I've got the nice little piece of paper from the ATF?

2) When transferring (including shipping), something like, say, an old 98 Mauser (I'm reasonably certain that's on the C&R list, if not, substitute something suitable) from out of state, to me, can it come straight to me if sent from and individual?  Another C&R licensee?  A regular FFL?  Or do any of these need to go through an in-state FFL?

3) How long does it take for the paperwork to go through?  I know form-4's are taking forever and a day (or if you're really lucky, only 6 months), but what's the time frame on a C&R license?

Thanks
-FOTBR

(Also posted in the general firearms discussion since I think it'll get seen more there)
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about MO, but a c&r is an FFL. You can buy ONLY c&r's through the mail without any transfer. I got mine a month ago. I was not impressed by the ATF. It took 75 days to go through and when I got it back, they spelled my name wrong!!
ATF=DMV with guns.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1) My shithole of a state (MO) says you need a permit to purchase handguns (not a big deal, been there done that several times, just tired of giving them more of my ammo money -- it disspears fast enough as is).  If I have a C&R license, and come across a handgun on the C&R list that I want, do I still need to go down to the sherrifs oriface and deal with them?  Or can I just order the darned thing because I've got the nice little piece of paper from the ATF?
View Quote

Check the NRA website for MO laws.  You may be wide open with a C&R, or, like in Kalifornia, you may need something along the lines of their Certificate of Eligibility to get the C&R to function like it would in a free state

2) When transferring (including shipping), something like, say, an old 98 Mauser (I'm reasonably certain that's on the C&R list, if not, substitute something suitable) from out of state, to me, can it come straight to me if sent from and individual?  Another C&R licensee?  A regular FFL?  Or do any of these need to go through an in-state FFL?
View Quote

Again, federal law allows anyone to send you a C&R, check MO to see if they restrict you.

3) How long does it take for the paperwork to go through?  I know form-4's are taking forever and a day (or if you're really lucky, only 6 months), but what's the time frame on a C&R license?
View Quote

My first applicatiion (around 10 years ago in TX) took only 10 business days from the time I mailed it...maybe because the first stop for the application is Dallas.  Renewals and changes of address (first to the PRK, then to ID) seem to take 2-3 weeks.  I believe the ATF is required to let you know license status not longer than 60 days after they receive the applicatiion.  I'd suggest certified mail so you know when they received it.

If MO is halfway coherent, you'll find it the best $30 you've spent.

-hanko

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got my C&R license on Friday 11-8.

I am in WI, so I do not know all of MO's laws.

2) When transferring (including shipping), something like, say, an old 98 Mauser (I'm reasonably certain that's on the C&R list, if not, substitute something suitable) from out of state, to me, can it come straight to me if sent from and individual? Another C&R licensee? A regular FFL? Or do any of these need to go through an in-state FFL?
View Quote

Not sure. Yes. Yes. No.
You can recive C&R firearms right at your front door. You can ship to any C&R and FFL. Remember to log all the guns in your bound book.

3) How long does it take for the paperwork to go through? I know form-4's are taking forever and a day (or if you're really lucky, only 6 months), but what's the time frame on a C&R license?
View Quote

Mine was mailed 10-18. I recived my license on 11-8. I live in the Lake Geneva, WI area.

REMEMBER!!!! Send in the citizenship certification form. They do NOT tell you that!!
If you do not send it in, they will not approve your application.
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf[/url]

Also, fill out line #'s 7 and 11. If you skip either line, they will not approve your application.

Check this site: [url]http://pub109.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums[/url] It's the Arfcom of Curio and Relic.

IM me if you want some more help, since I'm a few weeks ahead of where you will be.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone!  I'm currently waiting for the form 7cr to be mailed to me (seemed to be tbe best method of getting the form was to just request it, along with their rulebooks, etc)  I'll probably have more questions in a week or two after it gets here and I'm getting ready to send it off.  I printed off citizen certification form, and have that ready to go along with it.  Other than the check and the form 7cr, is there anything else I need to send in?  Avalon1, there'll be an IM headng your way in a couple of days when I remember the other couple of questions I came up with.

Dave_H:  The MG thing has me a little intregued-- you're saying that if I find an original 1919 (or something similar, that is on the C&R list) I can simply send of the money, and my MG will appear at my front door?  Don't you still have to deal with the form-4?  While I can see this might be the case for the C&R MGs, I fail to see how I can just go get, say, a transferrable M16A1 from a guy in state without going through all the regular stuff.  Clarification would be nice here.  Mmmm....machine guns [:D]

Also, suggestions for sources for the "bound book" would be welcome.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, suggestions for sources for the "bound book" would be welcome.
View Quote

Goto [url]http://pub109.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums[/url] <-- the Arfcom of Curio and Relic (hint, hint!)(go there now!)

Click on the C&R FLL Discussion room.

Click on [b]Free Bound Book[/b].

Download Excel spreadsheet.

Print several pages.

Put pages in 3 ring binder.

Go to Wal-Mart.

Buy: Lined paper, a nice pen, address book pages that fit in a 3 ring binder(so you can track who you mailed your C&R to), a calulator, stamps, envelopes, and a book of pre-printed invoices if you decide to sell a firearm.

Put together a big-ass list of distributers that sell C&R stuff.

Use stamps and envelopes to mail out copies of your license.

Go broke buying weapons.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!  Now to get more of my $ worth out of that damned computing fee I pay to the university.....Might as well print enough to last me several years [:D]

FOTBR
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Remember:

NEVER SIGN YOUR C&R LICENSE!!!

Only sign the copies. Life will be much easier.

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top