Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2002 4:49:35 PM EDT
Just wondering because that would be awesome to own a full auto someday. =) I know i can own one now but it's a lot of trouble. Does the NRA support making it easier to own full autos? Were they legal before the AWB?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
no the nra doesnt support full auto.  and they havent been legal since 1930's.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
no the nra doesnt support full auto.  and they havent been legal since 1930's.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Using your logic then vehicle ownership is not legal either. Just because something requires paperwork and registration with the state does not make it illegal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Woah. Ok, some misinformation there.

Ok- first off, no, the NRA isnt realy a proponent of an absense of law on firearms for the most part. Even when their leadership isnt Whiskey Delta Wayne Pierre, the NRA has always supported some structure to the 2nd Amendment. I'm not sure if the NRA supported or fought the NFA of 1934, but I dont believe it fought it.

Second off, in a lot of states, Machineguns are fully legal. Including VA I believe. I know in WVA they are, I have a good friend who collects armored vehicles and wears a MAC-10 as his CCW.

The NFA of 34 made them taxable items and today there is a $200 transfer tax on any MG or other NFA weapon (SBR, silencer, ect...)

In 1986 Georgie Bush Sr. imposed a ban on further manufacture of so called "Class III" weapons for civilian consumption, however there were tens of thousands of pre-86 MGs around and there still are.

Machineguns are by no means easy to get, and due to both the tax and limited number, they're EXPENSIVE. A cheap STEN SMG that probably cost less than $10 to manufacture back during WWII, now goes for somewhere over a grand, before the transfer tax. The paperwork is long and grueling, and would remind you a lot of enlisting in the Army. The most inexpensive SMG around are the FA Cobray M11/9s, of which I own two through the miricle of a PO box and a Class III MFR in Idaho who keeps them for me. I paid a little over two grand for the pair and the transfer, which took on the order of five months, but I've been told it can go a lot faster.

I cannot take the guns home with me because my state, Washington, does not allow machineguns in any other hands than that of an LEO or military memeber. Even then its in an official capacity only, I'm an E-3 in the Army and I tried to get my unit CO to pull some strings for an Mp5 I wanted a while ago. He tried but to no avail. My entire unit is rife with fellow gun-nuts, so no one looked at me strangely when I asked, a lot of guys elsewhere arnt so lucky though.

Regards,

Ryan
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Using your logic then vehicle ownership is not legal either. Just because something requires paperwork and registration with the state does not make it illegal.
View Quote

yeah but he said he knows its legal with a lot of trouble.  I think he was wondering if they support selling full autos without the pile of paperwork.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
i am with troy on that one.  And rebelgrey thanks for the washington info.  I would have thought it was legal in washington
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 1:15:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Naw, here in Washington State we can have AOW's and and we can own a silencer but good gosh, don't even think about mounting it on your firearm.
SBR's? SBS's? Select-Fire Weapons? Nadda!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top