Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2002 12:47:47 PM EDT
My Colt distributer quoted me on a LEO only M4 with a 14.5 inch bbl. Now as an SOT I know I can buy and stock a LEO only weapon and use it for demos (this is a semi not select fire gun so letterhead isn't required). But why don't I need paperwork for it as an SBR? Is it because it's LEO only? I'll have no problems getting cops to try the gun out and get plenty of signed demo sheets, but the bbl length has me concerned. Is LEO only gun exempt from being registered as an SBR if it's owned by my company?
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  If the barrel is only 14.5", and it doesn't have a permanent muzzle device or barrel extension to bring it over 16", then it must be registered as an SBR, and would come to you on a F3.

It also can't legally be sold that way to LE agency without being registered as an SBR and transferred to the agency on a Form 5.

It could be sold to an individual officer only with a letterhead authorization (for the LEO features) and on a tax-paid and approved Form 4 (if it was being transferred to the officer instead of the agency).
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No.  If the barrel is only 14.5", and it doesn't have a permanent muzzle device or barrel extension to bring it over 16", then it must be registered as an SBR, and would come to you on a F3.

It also can't legally be sold that way to LE agency without being registered as an SBR and transferred to the agency on a Form 5.

It could be sold to an individual officer only with a letterhead authorization (for the LEO features) and on a tax-paid and approved Form 4 (if it was being transferred to the officer instead of the agency).
View Quote

Will I need letterhead for it or will the distributor simply file an F3 and ship the gun after aproval? The sales rep told me all they needed was my FFl and SOT and did not nead CLEO letter. I just want to make sure this is done right despite what they say. And thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
As a licensee, you don't have to provide a letterhead to acquire a LEO gun into your inventory.

In your case, distributor just files F3 with your FFL/SOT info and it comes to you when the F3's approved.

As it's an SBR, you'll need to F3 it to another dealer, or F5 it to a government agency, or F4 it to an individual officer with dept. letterhead authorization when you sell it down the road.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Circuits, that's what I thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top