Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2001 2:24:00 PM EDT
I own a Bushmaster DCM, NOT considered an assalt rifle in Maryland due to the 20" HBAR configuration. I just completed a 4473 and walked out with it. Here's the question:
Is it illegal to put a non-HBAR 20" A2 dedicated .22 upper from KKF on it??  The HBAR .22 upper in 20" A2 is $575 from KKF, more than I can afford. The non-HBAR 20" A2 is only $425. But is it legal??  Can anyone explain this to me? The State police just say that EVERYTHING IS ILLEGAL because they really don't know. And the only dealer around here won't touch an AR of any kind. Any informed answers would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You want to talk about a bunch of morons, the MDSP sure comes to mind.  I called them about a 20 year old Delaware resident moving into MD and bringing their 1911 with them, just to see what they would say.  Of course, ALL they can say is:

"Its illegal by federal law for someone under 21 to have a handgun" (Him)
"Can you give me a section reference?" (Me)
"No, its illegal."  
"I dont see it in Title 18 anywhere."
"Its illegal, trust me."
"Ok.  What about a 20 year old bring a FnFal into MD?"
"Huh?"
"Fn-Fal, its on the assault rifles list."
"Uhhh, let me talk to my boss."
*5 minutes later*
"Its illegal."
"Alright, thank you." *click*

I'm gonna call them back and demand to talk to his boss sometime and record the conversation just to see what he has to say, especially when i start reciting Title 18's section that says that only dealers cannot sell firearms to people under 21, and asking where its illegal in federal law for someone to get a handgun thru private sale. (with the two parties outside MD of course, to confuse them even more)

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Careful w/recording that conversation - think Linda Tripp.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The dedicated .22 uppers are very sweet.

Good question.

But, for lot's less $$ why not just get a Ciener adapter. Would get you around the legal hangup too.
The ones that I have tried worked pretty good.

Good luck either way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Delmarksman....I don't want a conversion kit because I don't want to sling all that lead through my DCM barrel. Not to mention the inconvience of switching everything back and forth. I want the .22 upper to practice my offhand form and trigger control in hopes of bettering my match scores.

"especially when i start reciting Title 18's section that says that only dealers cannot sell firearms to people under 21, and asking where its illegal in federal law for someone to get a handgun thru private sale."  

Hey Karn....your wrong. Even before second hand sales became regulated, it was the owners responsibility to make sure that the buyer was 21 AND a Md. state resident. I always checked a drivers licence, and wrote a bill of sale to be signed by the buyer, which I still have in my possession for every handgun I've sold. But your right, MSP makes it up as they go. None of them are willing to be honest and admit that they just don't know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Karn....your wrong. Even before second hand sales became regulated, it was the owners responsibility to make sure that the buyer was 21 AND a Md. state resident
View Quote

Perhaps, X-ring - but MD law doesn't apply to other states.  The question was can someone over 18, but under 21, who has legally acquired a handgun elsewhere, legally possess that piece of personal property in maryland.

If Maryland only bans SALES to under 21, they haven't addressed possession, and it would be legal.  If Maryland has banned possession of handguns by under 21, that's a different matter, but the Maryland State Police should be able to answer that question for him.

Here in Colorado, for instance, it's legal (last I checked) for someone over 18 but under 21 to possess a handgun, if it were given to them as a gift, or otherwise acquired without breaking the law.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 3:43:40 AM EDT
[#6]
X-ring:
The question is about if I switch my residency to Delaware (since i already live there 9 months out of the year for college) and someone gives me a pistol, can I then take it into Maryland, even after i switch my residency back to Maryland.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey,Kharn you get that AR yet? Got my kit 2 weeks ago and finaly got to go down to Ommelanden down off Rt.13. That baby was shooting the bull out of those targets at 50M. with only minor adjustments. Super Sweet
Let me know I have some friends are going to have a big AR shoot soon.  Later
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Be careful about recording what anyone says...in the state that I live in, Florida, it is illegal, and you can go to jail for it. Even if you use a video camera, and record their voices you can get into trouble if the people whose voices you recorded complain...

Link Posted: 4/12/2001 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Contras: I plan on telling the nice public servant that i am recording the conversation as soon as he picks up the phone.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Contras: I plan on telling the nice public servant that i am recording the conversation as soon as he picks up the phone.

Kharn
View Quote

...which will make the recording legal.

I suppose MSP feels like they don't have to know the law since they all wear such snappy uniforms.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I think your fighting a losing battle X_Ring.  Just drive further and go to a MD dealer that will do AR's.  Get a regular AR lower, and fill out the nice pistol paperwork.  Then do whatever.  The problem is not in the specific MD assualt weapons law, but in how it is interpreted.  The idea you are buying an exempted version of an assault weapon, and converting it to a regulated(registration and waiting period required) assault weapon would not play well in court.
The legal battle would have be fought on the grounds you built a regulated assault weapon.  
That seems to be legal, but its a hell of a lot of risk that can be avioded by a couple hours(at most in our small state) driving to another FFL to get a regulated lower.

In the end you have to weigh a fine, possible jailtime, and the inability to purchase any firearms in the future, against a few wasted hours, gas money, and inconvenience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top