Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2002 7:19:32 PM EDT
I live in California and have some people telling me that its legal for me to ship a handgun to a FFL in Alabama where they will complete the transfer and I have some people telling me that I have to take the handgun to a FFL here in California and have them ship the pistol to the FFL in Alabama. Can someone clear this up for me and if posssible provide a link to where the information comes from? I've looked on the ATF's website and have found some confusing things...

Thanks,

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
1. All interstate transfers must go to a licensed dealer.

2. They don't generally have to COME from a licensed dealer, but many FFL's will only accept shipments from other dealers (cuts down on their paperwork and possible exposure to legal action if the gun turns out to be stolen).  Before shipping to a dealer out of state, make sure the person buying it has checked with the receiving FFL and they're OK with the firearm coming from a non-licensee.

3. In California, "assault weapons" can only be shipped out of state by a Cali licensed AW dealer.  You can still take it out of the state personally and sell to a licensed dealer in another state, however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top