Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2002 5:43:50 PM EDT
Let's say a person visiting your state (resident in another state) brings a rifle to hunt/shoot with, and you want to buy that rifle.  Do you need to go through an ffl (interstate transfer) or can it be handled as an intrastate private sale?  Can this be construed as an attempt to thwart whatever laws apply to interstate transfers?

Yes, I am paranoid, and yes, they are out to get me.

Thanks,
-Ngog
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
This topic is best addressed in our Legal Section.  I'm going to leave this in GFD until 2300 hrs EDT then move it there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, the way the law is written, it states that all interstate sales must go through a valid FFL holder. This includes even face-to-face private sales. I was (and am) of the opinion that private property is private property, but after extensively debating this with Keith Barlow of Gulf Coast Armory, I know that certain conditions do apply. However, it would be very, very difficult to police and regulate every such firearms transaction. I just cannot see this being a big issue for the BATF.

Bottom line, if you're comfortable doing the deal, then do it. Use your best judgement.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO, I believe your transfer must go through an FFL to be legal.  Because it is a long gun you are dealing with, the buyer and seller can simply walk into any FFL's shop and ask him to do the transfer right there.  Pistols are a different story.

I think you can get the details at the BATF's web site under the FAQ section.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, I believe your transfer must go through an FFL to be legal.
View Quote

This is not an opinion and has previously been stated. This would be extremely difficult if not impossible to enforce. Use your best judgment before proceeding.

Because it is a long gun you are dealing with, the buyer and seller can simply walk into any FFL's shop and ask him to do the transfer right there.
View Quote

Only if the FFL holder is willing to do so. He/she is not obligated to broker or get involved in your affairs.

Pistols are a different story.
View Quote

Under law, interstate tranfers of handguns may only occur between licensees. Again, use your best judgment.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]
can I (a wisconsin resident) legally buy a rifle from an FFL located in North Dakota without a wisconsin FFL getting involved? I would be making the purchase in person in ND. I've looked at the GCA and it seems like this would be legal. Is it? Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top