Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2001 1:11:56 PM EDT
I am getting around to putting my first postban together and need input. First off, when I store my AR-15's away in my vault I separate the uppers and lowers so they all fit in there. Now if I go off and throw a post ban weapon in with prebans am I putting myself in danger of possible legal problems if say the "authorities" come in and slap one of the preban uppers on a postban lower and say I built a illegal weapon? Also, in putting together my postban I have an extra preban colt barrel and wonder if I cut off the bayonet lug and locktight a muzzle brake on it would that be acceptable? Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a gray area.  Generally the "constructive possession" to create a machine gun rules wouldn't apply, since owning machine gun parts is illegal, but owning uppers with bayonet lugs is not illegal.

As long as you've got a legal way to assemble everything in your safe, I wouldn't sweat it, but that's just my personal opinion and tolerance for risk.

To be absolutely safe, you should leave them assembled (buy a bigger safe), and all in legal configuration, with no spare pre-ban parts, or even get rid of all your post-bans or pre-bans, but I think that'd be excessive.

locktite isn't enough to "cover" the threads, according to ATF - you have to use blind pin and weld, or high temp silver solder to permanently affix a legal muzzle brake to have it be post-ban legal.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What Troy said.

The cases that deal with intent involve readily convertable weapons and illegal configuration with components that don't have legal counterparts on our near each other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top