Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2013 7:49:18 AM EDT
Hoping to get some input on transferring an AR-15 rifle to my wife's Grandpa. Heres the situation. A few days ago (just after Obama went on TV talking about gun control) I was over at my wife's grandparents house and we were discussing the issues around assault rifles and the second amendment in general. I had just recently purchased a MP-1522 and had plans to get a .223 AR before things went crazy with stock/prices. I was telling him how I had hoped to be able to afford an AR15 before any possible ban would go through. He is a gun owner and NRA member as well and fully supports the right to bear arms. He was asking me how much one would cost and I explained the prices were jumping up and availability was dwindling.

To my surprise, he gave me a check and said "Go out and get yourself one." I told him i would pay him back. I went and cashed the check and with money in hand started calling all around. We have five local gun stores and I knew it was probably going to be impossible to find one. But, my last phone call, the gun store told me they had two on consignment. I asked them to hold them back till I got off work to look at them. When I got there, one was a MP15 and the other a Bushmaster. This local store had elevated prices but were not gouging. Knowing I had enough to buy both, I purchased both rifles and completed the FFL background check and left with the two rifles and some ammo.

Fast forward a week. After checking out both rifles I decided I only wanted to keep one.(and the wife only wanted me to keep one) The MP15. I asked if her grandfather would be interested in the other. He said sure. Here is where my question is.

However, I want the transfer to be 100% legal. Do I;

A. Just transfer the rifle to him with a simple bill of sale/gift receipt.

B. Take him to the local gun store and do a FFL transfer.

Although he fully gifted the money to me to by the rifles, me simply transferring the gun to him might be looked upon as a "straw sale"? I just want to make sure we go about it the right way. Both rifles are still in my possession and will remain as such until I find the best way to go about this.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Just hand it to him and then shake hands.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 3:51:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. So the consensus seems to be, just give it to him?
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:10:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This, if you live in the same state.

Also give home the M&P if it is an M&P Sport.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. So the consensus seems to be, just give it to him?

It's not a federal issue since you are both residents of the same state. I don't think Indiana cares about long guns, so you can just give it to him if you want. It is not a straw purchase. You were the intended recipient, then you decided to give it to him.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for the input. I have convinced the wife to let me keep both guns. Yah! Two AR's for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top