Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2002 7:39:41 PM EDT
How do states that permit open carry without a permit treat non residents?

I'm specificly thinking about Virginia, and other southern states that I travel through regularly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
NC it all depends on the city. I open carry almost everywhere. I have also gone open in southwest virginia.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
So, when I pass through Virginia and NC on my way to Alabama in December, I could just toss a handgun on the other seat or some other "open" location and be okay?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as in the car I do not know virginias law. Goto www.packing.org and it should tell you. NC put it on the seat or dash and you won't have any problems. Word of advice, if you get pulled keep your id in your hand and both hands either on the steering whell or better yet out the window and tell the cop immediatly. Doing this will make it more pleasant trust me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As far as in the car I do not know virginias law. Goto www.packing.org and it should tell you. NC put it on the seat or dash and you won't have any problems. Word of advice, if you get pulled keep your id in your hand and both hands either on the steering whell or better yet out the window and tell the cop immediatly. Doing this will make it more pleasant trust me.
View Quote

Packing is a great resource, but not always for rules on open carry.
This shit can be confusing, and I don't want to get tossed in jail. Thanks for the data on NC.

See, what I'm worried about is, I'd be carrying openly, have a cop question me, say it's legal to be carrying openly, and then get told "Well, you're not from this state, so to jail you go."

Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Spade - Since your heading this way here's my understanding of our law.  First, Alabama law prohibits city's counties, etc. from passing gun laws. That right is reserved to the state.  Alabama has no mention of any kind in it's laws concerning open carry. Thus the only restrictions are those that restrict you from carrying any firearm. Into government buildings and schools. One issue is window tint. If you have dark tinted windows, and the weapon is in the car it is considered consealed and a permit is required (Based on conversation with 3 LEO's from different departments). I just got the latest copy of state by state gun laws from BATF. I'll read through it again tonite.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Alabama has no mention of any kind in it's laws concerning open carry.
View Quote

Found this today on www.packing.org on the sidebar. I'd never seen it before. It's the Alabama AG's opinion on open carry while on foot

[url]http://www.packing.org/leave.cgi?redir=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ago.state.al.us%2Foldopinions%2F8400205.pdf[/url]

It's an Adobe Acrobat file, and it basically says you can open carry without a permit while on foot, but not in your car.

If you have anything to add to what packing has to say, or any insight from a local guy I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Read the opinion and the only thing missing seems to be any reference to 13A-11-74. License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - exceptions: after you get past all the LEO's and armed forces performing duty, you find dealers, repairers, manufacturers, common carrieers except taxicabs licensed as common carriers. Finally any person permitted by law while carrying it unloaded in a secure wrapper, from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to or from a place of repair or in moving from one place of abode or business to another.

Another problem with this opinion is the reference to title 14 s175 title 14 now covers prisons not firearms.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Spade, I met a guy in the parking lot at a hotel in Athens, AL a couple weeks ago with PA Plates who showed interest in my SAR-1 and seemed to be well-versed in firearms. Was that you ???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top