Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2012 12:07:44 PM EDT
I own several 30 rnd Pmags. I've heard that in the event of a renewed assault weapons ban, proof of ownership prior to the ban would probably be required to be grandfathered in. I know this is early since no specific legislation is on the floor, but what would likely bee acceptable proof? I only have the the receipt for the two that I bought with my AR. The other ones I have on many different occasions over the years. Should I lawyer catalog them all? Would that work?

James
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
In the last ban, all high cap mags made afterwords had Military & Police use only stamped on them. Any mag that didn't have that was preban and GTG.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In the last ban, all high cap mags made afterwords had Military & Police use only stamped on them. Any mag that didn't have that was preban and GTG.

If they follow along that same route I hope they reword the marking because I got a couple of pistol mags that are marked "Military & Law Enforcement Use Only" , but it was after the ban ended and it did not seem like it was going to matter.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Who knows what the future holds trying to guess about something ahead of time is impossile to answer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they follow along that same route I hope they reword the marking because I got a couple of pistol mags that are marked "Military & Law Enforcement Use Only" , but it was after the ban ended and it did not seem like it was going to matter.

Shit...2X of my ARs have that stamped on the side of them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#5]
During the last ban, all post ban manufactured mags had a manufacture date stamped into them from the factory. Some said for Military and Police use only etc.  Your Pmags have the Month and Year they were produced molded right into the body so proving they were made before any potential ban would be simple.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
During the last ban, all post ban manufactured mags had a manufacture date stamped into them from the factory. Some said for Military and Police use only etc.  Your Pmags have the Month and Year they were produced molded right into the body so proving they were made before any potential ban would be simple.

Im sure any new laws would require a different type of markings.

OP you should be fine as long as they dont try & enforce a ban that would outlaw ANY & EVERY mag thats over 10 rounds. Which legally speaking that CAN NOT happen. Unless the Feds want to reimburse (SP?) EVERY SINGLE owner the current value of EACH firearm & 11+ round mag they own.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

they were required to post a serial number too, and that serial number can be tracked to a time frame; theoretically anyway
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#8]
My guess is Obama & Holder along with Feinstein will push for a total ban on mags with capacity > 10 rounds this time around. And I mean no grandfathering, etc. They will offer an amnesty period of several months to turn them in, and after that they will arrest anyone found to possess the mags. They won't search one's home for mags as a matter of course, but if there is a search warrant for something else, they will add hi-cap mag possession to whatever other charges they might have if they find them. And if melted mags are found following a fire or a LEO stumbles upon mags in the course of his normal duties, the owner will get the shaft.

For all practical purposes, possession at home will not cause any problems 99% of the time, but it would be risky to take them to the range, or out hunting. There would be no point in owning them other than in a home defense gun, but a quick change to 10 rounders would be necessary if you actually used the gun for protection. And God help you if a neighbor said he heard 20 rounds go off in quick succession.

This is worst case scenario.

Democrats have been waiting patiently since 2004 for an event to provide impetus for a new ban, and now they have it. It was a matter of time.

When the time comes, be ready to crucify any Republicans that stands with the Democrats. They have to understand fully that siding with any new gun control will result in political suicide. Instant death, no quarter.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't count on the same rules applying if an AWB is re-introduced. The Left was paying attention when they realized the outcome of the last, prior to the sunset. Doubling down.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
It didnt help the guys in NJ

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Mattja,

I suggest you read the rest of the Constitutional Amendments.

The good news is that the "taking of property" can't legally be done without compensation. Now can they get away with compensating each of us $5-10/mag (should be fair market value)? Perhaps but even at that rate, it would be a boatload of money when the country is on the verge of bankruptcy and I can't see congress approving that sort of open-ended expenditure.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mattja,

I suggest you read the rest of the Constitutional Amendments.

The good news is that the "taking of property" can't legally be done without compensation. Now can they get away with compensating each of us $5-10/mag (should be fair market value)? Perhaps but even at that rate, it would be a boatload of money when the country is on the verge of bankruptcy and I can't see congress approving that sort of open-ended expenditure.

I wonder how much Uncle Sam will pay my dad for his original WWII manufactured 100 round drum for his Thompson?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you think that they would make The evil AR15 type rifles and other assault weapon types all Class 3- so that all will be registered with the Govt?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you think that they would make The evil AR15 type rifles and other assault weapon types all Class 3- so that all will be registered with the Govt?

I've heard this is one of the options on the table for Feinstein.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top