Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2002 2:02:13 PM EDT
Maybe someone here can shed some light on this question...
I have a Group Industries registered lower and a couple of uppers, 10.5" 223 and 22LR and a 20" HB upper.
I also have an old AR15 SP1 I bought new in 1979.  It is in unaltered condition.
Do I have a problem owning both?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you have a problem so long as the 10.5" upper is never mounted on the SP1 and so long as you continue to own the registered M16.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You do have a problem.  Possession of an SP1 and more than one short upper for your M16 is possessing a short barrelled rifle.  Go look at Bardwell's titleii.com site, there is an atf letter on this exact topic.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy, you should reconsider.  This is contrary to ATF's most recent positions.  I would not want to be the test case even if I thought differently.

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
            BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS
                     WASHINGTON, DC 20226

MAR 29 2000

This refers to your letter of January 22, 1999, requesting
information on the legality of possessing a registered full auto
AR15 and also possessing one or more semiautomatic pre-1994
assembled AR15 rifles.  You appended a number of specific questions
relating to this subject which will be answered in the order
received.

2.   If legal to own both, which spare parts for the registered gun
can you also own?

Any weapon which shoots automatically more than one shot, without
manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger meets the
definition of a machinegun in section 5845(b) of the NFA.  An AR15
rifle which is assembled with certain M16 machinegun fire control
components, and which is capable of shooting automatically is a
machinegun as defined.

The definition of a machinegun in section 5845(b) also includes any
combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if
such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
Thus, an AR15 rifle possessed with separate M16 machinegun
components can meet the definition of a machinegun, if the rifle
shoots automatically when the components are installed.

The fact that a person lawfully possesses a registered NFA firearm
does not grant authorization to possess additional non-registered
firearms.  A person who possesses a registered M16 machinegun and
a semiautomatic AR15 and a separate quantity of M16 machinegun
components could be in possession of two machineguns.

We advise any person who possesses an AR15 rifle not to possess M16
fire control components (trigger, hammer, disconnector, selector,
and bolt carrier).  If a person possessed only the M16 machinegun
and spare M16 fire control components for that machinegun, the
person would possess only one machinegun.

4. Can you have several short barrel uppers (less than 16 inches)
for the registered AR and still own semi-auto AR's?

The definition of a firearm in section 5845 of the NFA includes a
rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches)
barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 machinegun along with
one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their
possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a
violation of the NFA.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]
                      Edward M. Owen, Jr.
               Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

View Quote

[url=http://www.titleii.com/Bardwell/atf_letter90.txt]Link to ATF Letter[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, if ATF's position is enforced literally as what Mr. Owen says in that letter, then they've got a LOT of doors to kick down. Every single person I know that owns an M16 also owns an AR and several short uppers for the M16.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
False.  The Thompson/Center case established that as long as you have a LEGAL combination for the extra parts (i.e., 10.5" upper for the M16), and you don't have those parts illegally assembled (putting that 10.5" upper on the SP1), then you're fine.
View Quote

Pretty much, yes. United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co., 504 U.S. 505 states in part:

"We also think that a firearm is "made" on facts one step removed from the paradigm of the aggregated parts that can be used for nothing except assembling a firearm. Two courts to our knowledge have dealt in some way with claims that when a gun other than  a firearm was placed together with a further part or parts that would have had no use in association with the gun except to convert it into a firearm, a firearm was produced. See United States v. Kokin, 365 F.2d 595, 596 (CA3) (carbine together with all parts necessary to convert it into a machinegun is a machinegun), cert. denied, 385 U.S. 987, 17 L. Ed. 2d 448, 87 S. Ct. 597 (1966); see also United States v. Zeidman, 444 F.2d 1051, 1053 (CA7 1971) (pistol and attachable shoulder stock found "in different drawers of the same dresser" constitute a short-barreled rifle). Here it is true, of course, that some of the parts could  be used without ever assembling a firearm, but the likelihood of that is belied by the utter uselessness of placing the converting parts with the others except for just such a conversion. Where the evidence in a given case supports a finding of such uselessness, the case falls within the fair intendment of "otherwise producing a firearm." See 26 U. S. C. § 5845(i)."

Of course, if the extra parts are NOT utterly useless except to make an illegal SBR (because you have a registered SBR or MG) then possession of additional <16" uppers should be fine.

It seems, therefore, that ATF's "constructive possession" theory fails if the unassembled part has a legal use by the owner, even if it also has an illegal use.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If you register the SP-1 as an SBR, you would be in the clear with no worries.  Just don't maintain any spare M16 fire control parts.

{edited because I couldn't spell "SBR"}
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Of course, if the extra parts are NOT utterly useless except to make an illegal SBR (because you have a registered SBR or MG) then possession of additional <16" uppers should be fine.

It seems, therefore, that ATF's "constructive possession" theory fails if the unassembled part has a legal use by the owner, even if it also has an illegal use.
View Quote

View Quote

I think ATF disagrees with that view, whether or not it's correct.  The ATF letter dates back two years, Thompson is a 92 decision.

I think they distinguish Thompson on the grounds that it provided a legal configuration, the pistol barrel, and another legal configuration, the stock and rifle barrel.  

In the question raised, if one of the two short uppers is put on the M16, the only legal configuration that remains with the AR-15 and the other short upper is illegal short barrel rifle.

Look, I'm not necessarily saying ATF's worldview is correct; however, their position in the letter is crystal clear that they view this as illegal.  So proceed at your own risk.  I have moved my two Bushmaster AR-15's out of my house since I got an M16 to avoid this exact problem.  Besides, when you have an M16, an AR-15 feels kind of passe anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top