Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2002 8:52:37 PM EDT
One of my friends from Virginia is in town here in AZ, he's 18 years old.  I was going to give him one of my AR lowers to take back with him.  

Can anyone offer me any insight on this?  Does anyone know if there's any assault weapon laws there that prohibit an 18 year old from purchasing an AR lower.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless he is a resident of your state you cannot legally transfer a firearm to him.  You could have it transferred through a FFL if VA permits out of state transfers of long guns.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
VA-gunnut:  Does VA permit out of state transfers of long guns?  NY is restricted to contiguous states.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Does VA permit VA residents to purchase/transfer firearms out of state?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as federal law is concerned, you can give your friend that AR lower while he's there, but it has to go through an AZ FFL. Effectively, your friend is buying a long gun in AZ as a VA resident, which (federally) is OK. Basically, it's still an interstate transaction so it has to go through an FFL either at the AZ end or the VA end (but not both for long guns at least).

I am not aware of any law in VA that would proscribe this. Perhaps you would be best served by shipping that lower to his FFL in VA. Cost would be the same except the shipping.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top