Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2002 1:15:19 PM EDT
Saw this on EBAY. They say they have a no firearms policy but this drew my curiosity. It is a mauser 98 receiver. It is listed as pre 1945. Wouldn't this still be a firearm according to BATF? I thought it would be handeled as any other mauser from that time period.
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2120803296[/url]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
yes it is considered a firearms...It has the serial number on the receiver and since a mauser does not have a lower receiver, this is the receiver/frame for this type of gun. The seller can only send this to a dealer or C&R holder. But why would you pay what he's asking when you can get a mauser 98k for $90 complete out of shotgun news?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't pay that. Especially since i have a C&R license. I don't know why anyone would. I was looking for some mauser odds and ends. Like a nice m93 butplate. I came across this and it looked funny sine EBAY has a "no firearms" policy. I thought it was a good example of people not understanding what a firearm really is.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The receiver is most definitely a firearm in the eyes of the BATF.  The auction may be in violation of eBay policy.  And the price is way, WAY too high.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If someone wants to be nasty, they could close the auction down with a complaint.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Since no one was stupid enough to buy it did anyone commit an offense? In other words is offering for sale an offense or only the transfer? If someone had bought it would EBAY be guilty of anything for facilitating the sale? They do have firearms on their prohibited items list.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
[b]$500?!!!![/b] What the f*ck was he thinking?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
$50 for the receiver $450 for the scope mount!

Remember there's one born every minute
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since no one was stupid enough to buy it did anyone commit an offense? In other words is offering for sale an offense or only the transfer? If someone had bought it would EBAY be guilty of anything for facilitating the sale? They do have firearms on their prohibited items list.
View Quote

No law was broken in offering it for sale.  If the seller had transferred it illegaly to someone, a crime would have been commmitted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top