Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2002 8:36:57 PM EDT
Im thinking about building an OA-96 clone, what Ill probibly do is buy an OA lower and put the OA96 upper on and weld a mag in.

My question is, can I register a preban lower as a pistol, so I wouldnt have to weld the mag?

Im sure I cant, I just wanted to make sure.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im thinking about building an OA-96 clone, what Ill probibly do is buy an OA lower and put the OA96 upper on and weld a mag in.

My question is, can I register a preban lower as a pistol, so I wouldnt have to weld the mag?
View Quote

Make sure the magazine is PERMANENT.  That is what the BATF will require.  If they can get it out, without destroying the receiver, then you will have created an illegal gun.  I know that is the hoops they put Oly through and destroyed a receiver in the process to prove it.

If the lower has not already been declared a preban pistol lower that was complete at some time prior to 1994 firearms ban, then you are out of luck.

Best of luck!
mark
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Im sure I cant, I just wanted to make sure.
View Quote

The only way  to do the pre-ban pistol thing with an existing pre-ban rifle lower is to do a Form-1 for "Short Barreled Rifle", then you can attach the short upper and remove stock and be legal that way, put stock on another day and shoulder fire.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
How much is a form 1??
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The only way  to do the pre-ban pistol thing with an existing pre-ban rifle lower is to do a Form-1 for "Short Barreled Rifle", then you can attach the short upper and remove stock and be legal that way, put stock on another day and shoulder fire.
View Quote

I believe you are wrong.  Once a receiver has a stock, it cannot become a pistol any longer.

You cannot change a SBR into a pistol.  You have an approval to make a short barreled RIFLE.  By removing the stock, it dos not become a pistol.  With stock removed your form 1 still says it is a rifle.  Without the stock, you have an illegal device that is unregistered in current configuration.

Please provide reference to where your above scheme is possible.

mark
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I believe you are wrong.  Once a receiver has a stock, it cannot become a pistol any longer.......

You cannot change a SBR into a pistol.  You have an approval to make a short barreled RIFLE.  By removing the stock, it dos not become a pistol.
View Quote

Exactly as I stated, A SBR [b]is not required[/b] to have a stock, thus it is still a SBR, but,,,,[b]looks like a pistol[/b]. This how you get around the pistol issue with a registered rifle lower.

With stock removed your form 1 still says it is a rifle.  Without the stock, you have an illegal device that is unregistered in current configuration.
View Quote

Refer to last comment, it is regestered NFA item to "sport" a shorter than 16" upper, be shoulder fired, and does not absolutely have to "sport" a stock.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Exactly as I stated, A SBR [b]is not required[/b] to have a stock, thus it is still a SBR, but,,,,[b]looks like a pistol[/b]. This how you get around the pistol issue with a registered rifle lower.

Refer to last comment, it is regestered NFA item to "sport" a shorter than 16" upper, be shoulder fired, and does not absolutely have to "sport" a stock.
View Quote

I went through the regs and it talks about "intended" to have a stock, but does not say it must be present.

Do you hav a letter from the BATF tech department saying what you are doing is OK?

They can make a "ruling" and say you are getting around intended regulations, etc.  I would not do it unless I had a letter from BATF OK'ing it.

You may have something, but it could be a snake too...

mark
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The only reason that i would go the OA-96 route is because it doesnt have a rear buffer tube, therefore you wouldnt want a stock on it, but I might like better  to have a preban SBR with a telestock and maybe a 7.5" barrel.

But then again Id have to do paperwork that way so I might just do an OA-96 clone with a welded mag.

Decisions, decisions.....
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Something like this, but now sports an A2 stock and Triple-X can
[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=SBR&album_id=74005&image_id=0¶m=63499[/img]

Mark, I have not done the pistol thing, kinda useless as far as weight and std sights. I prefer to shoulder fire, I'm more accustomed to rifle anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top