Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2002 3:04:23 PM EDT
I was wondering what the transferor does with the 4473 after the gun sale is all over? Any gun dealers out there? This form seems like registration to me but is it destroyed or filed away? Thanks. CRC
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Retained by the licensee.  If and when licensee closes up shop, 4473's to the ATF.

-hanko
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
[URL]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#p45[/URL]

"FFLs must keep a copy of each ATF Form 4473 for which a NICS check has been initiated, regardless of whether the transfer of the
firearm was made. If the transfer is not made, the FFL must keep the Form 4473 for 5 years after the date of the NICS inquiry. If the
transfer is made, the FFL must keep the Form 4473 for 20 years after the date of the sale or disposition. Forms 4473 with respect to
a transfer that did not take place must be separately maintained."
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup.  And after the 20 years (under current 'law') one can dispose of the forms.  But the record is still in the FFL 'bound book' which goes back to the ATF at the closing of the business.  That's my understanding.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
And then it goes into the illegal BATF computer lists....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys! Just as I had suspected- ultimately to BATF headquarters.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And then it goes into the illegal BATF computer lists...
View Quote

After which the originals get sent to that warehouse at the end of [i]Raiders of the Lost Ark[/i] and filed along with Jimmy Hoffa.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget, ATF "can" and "will" take the 4473's at any time they wish...

They will come in, with a list of names, and take the original form with them, leaving only a photo-copy behind for the FFL...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top