Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2002 9:40:11 AM EDT
What case was it, I just read it somewhere here, that upheld the right of the people to have arms like and kind as the military does.  I may be wrong on my reading of this, but I have read something about it and would like to read the whole case.  Anyone...

Kentlik
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Try reading "The Embarrassing Second Amendment".  I believe it was written by Stanley Levenson.  He goes into detail on the US vs Miller case in 1939 as well as other cases.  In that case, the justices indicated that it was ok to ban sawed shotguns because they were not of common use by the military. Conversely, those weapons used by the military were protected by the Second Amendment.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The case is U.S. v. Miller (1939). I don't have the reporter cite handy.

The article is by Sanford Levinson. Eugene Volokh is a another one, and Williams VanAlstyne (who is one of the foremost 1st Amd experts) makes mention of it too in a couple articles.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The Embarrassing Second Amendment.

http://www.shadeslanding.com/firearms/embar.html
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks alot for the help!  I was very interested to read this.

Kentlik
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top