Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 3:27:25 PM EDT
I was wondering if I get a VA dl, will they try to take a chunk of my military seperations pay, even though my W-2 has my old FLA address on it.
I renewed my FLA residency after I joined the military, and have been a resident of FLA ever since.
But now that I'm out, I'm living in VA, and am looking for a job here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I know that if I get a job that I will be libal for what those wages are, but I just wonder if they will try to hit my seps pay.
Know any CPA's who visit this site??
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe any income is taxable.  Also if you have a car or boat you may have to pay property tax on it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You should probably consult an accountant or tax lawyer. VA has some specific rules about non-residents that earn income in VA and how it is treated for VA income tax purposes.

My best guess is that you will have to file 2 state returns (one for each state) and pay tax on a pro-rata basis based on how long you were in each state.

I moved mid-2000 from MA to VA. I had to file 2 state returns. I paid MA tax on the income I earned there, and VA tax on the income I earned here in VA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top