Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2002 6:46:27 AM EDT
I am a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) holder in Texas.  I am going to be driving from the Dallas area to San Diego in the near future (for my son's graduation from U.S. Marine Corp boot camp).  While I know that my Texas CHL is honored in Arizona, it is not in either New Mexico nor California.

What are your recommendations for carry and/or transportation of a handgun (or long gun, if that is easier)on a trip such as this?  Since I carry esentially 24X7X365 in TX, I would really feel naked if I had to make this trip unarmed.  Thanks!  [marines]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#1]
you,
Texas, Arizona - on your person.
New Mexico, California - unloaded and locked in a box in the trunk with the ammo locked in a seperate box.

me, i would wear it all the time.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Being a fellow CHL holder, I would seriously consider my options.  Going to a military installation in Ca. Sounds like a potentialy expensive legal venture to me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
*This is not legal advice*

That said, NM allows concealed carry if the gun is unloaded.  You can also carry however you want inside your car, as it's considered an extension of your house.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
New Mexico is an open carry state.  Bring along a hip holster and switch right before you get to the border.  CA, you're on your own. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top