Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2011 5:10:12 AM EDT
Looked at a sign at Academy Sports yesterday, saying you must be 21 to buy a pistol grip shotgun. When I asked was this their policy I was told it was federal law. They explained that a shoulder stock with a pistol grip was not a -pistol grip- as such only one with only pistol grip was restricted to as concealable weapon. Any one know if this is law??
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looked at a sign at Academy Sports yesterday, saying you must be 21 to buy a pistol grip shotgun. When I asked was this their policy I was told it was federal law. They explained that a shoulder stock with a pistol grip was not a -pistol grip- as such only one with only pistol grip was restricted to as concealable weapon. Any one know if this is law??

A pistol grip (no shoulder stock) shotgun is not a "shotgun."  Only long guns, shotguns and rifles, can be sold by a FFL to a person under the age of 21.  A pistol grip shotgun is technically just a "firearm".  With that said, is has nothing to do with a "concealable weapon" unless it is under 26 inches overall at which time it becomes a Title II AOW.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Federal law defines a shotgun as being designed to fire from the shoulder.  A pistol grip shotgun does not meet that definition.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
So I guess they are law abiding with their sales.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
They sell a Mossberg that comes with a stock installed, and a pistol grip in the box.  Link  My brother picked one up right after his 18th birthday, in '05.  The guy behind the counter asked if it was for zombies...  I didn't have the sense of humor I do now, and gave him the look.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#5]
You need to realize that federal law restricts the sale of ANY firearm to 21 and over.

It then makes a specific exception for long guns (rifles and shotguns) but the law also defines  both as 'designed to be fired from the shoulder.'

Remove the butt-stock and the gun i no longer 'designed to be fired from the shoulder' and the21 old limit applies.

This is why actions are also restricted.

They do not meet the legal definition of a long gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top