Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2002 3:20:58 PM EDT
I left California in 96 with my 2 AR's, both were registered in 89.  Can I bring them back now?
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely Yes.  This assumes that you didn't inform DOJ that you were removing them from the state.  You can call them and ask them what the registration status of the rifles is.  The number is: (916) 227-3694.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Possible, but not probable. If they weren't registered as AWs in 2000 you can apply for an exception, at the same time I'd buy a lottery ticket, both have about the same chance.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#3]
If they were both regestered in 1989 and you did not inform DOJ that they were removed from the state, you should be ok.  You did not have to re-regester them in 2000.  I had one that I  regestered in 1989 and two in 2000 when they expanded the list, and my 1989 regestered AR15 was still there!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
you are OK, as long as you didnt UN-register them with the DOJ, im not sure if that was even an option back then.

guns regged in '89 did NOT have to be re-regged in 2000
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I left California in 96 with my 2 AR's, both were registered in 89.  Can I bring them back now?
View Quote

Why move back to Caliban? You know you just left the United States...
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information looks like I am ok.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, as long as you registered them on time, the registration wasn't rescinded, and you never un-registered them you can legally bring them in IMHO (I am not a lawyer).  You were just storing them out of state temporarily, just like an old handgun my cousin is keeping for me in Kansas (and has had it there since 1966). :-)

BTW - My condolensces, you poor bastard.  But welcome back in advance.  Drop me an email if you are coming to the San Diego area.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I realize this is off the main topic of the inquiry, but the CA people here are the ones I need to ask.  What else is bad about CA?  My wife and I live in FL and are looking to move from our area (crowding, insane home prices  - it's in Pinellas county for those who know, and will understand).  While I'm looking in other areas of FL, the wife is enamored with CA.  Sometimes, I believe that the only thing that will be any good in her eyes is CA.  I agree the physical aspects of the state are nice (especially the south to central coast, say, Ventura to possibly Morro Bay), but I know there would be a variety of other problems.  

I know my AR would have to be sold or go into storage in NV.  As far as pistols, I don't trust any government not to confiscate anything after I "register" it, even as a "mere formality" as an "importer".  

But, my question is, what else is there?  I know about income taxes, what about personal property taxes?  I know auto registration is high, as a form of ongoing personal property tax.  Gasoline prices; insurance. I can't use the earthquake argument because that is easily countered by one word - hurricane.

I guess I'm looking for "ammunition" to avoid the problem if I can.  Or, information to help me deal with it all if the wife gets her way (as usually they do).
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
RJR, there is a lot to like.  The big BUT is that it's balanced by the current political climate if you live in the 'scenic' (coastal) areas, whether in norcal or socal.  Scenery is gorgeous, if you have kids there's a lot to do without a ton of driving, and on balance the food is as good as you can get anywhere (though having lived 13 years in TX I can say that nobody here knows bbq from shinola).

Check a web cost of living calculator & see what you find out about PRK v. FL.  Property taxes are limited to a 2 percent increase a year due to proposition 13, but the minute a house is sold it is reassessed, so you might be blown away when you get your first tax bill.  Electricity, insurance, gas, food, etc., are all higher than what you might be used to.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#10]
If you think Pinellas county is bad, wait until you see just about any part of California worth living in.  And Ventura County?  You pay a pretty penny for those views.  Unless you have a really good job waiting with really good benefits, you shouldn't even be thinking about moving out here.  Check out real estate values where you want to go.  Figure double, minimum.  What costs about $85,000 south of Daytona Beach goes for about $200,000+ here.

Don't come out here unless you just want to look.  You will run home screaming.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't come out here unless you just want to look.  You will run home screaming.
View Quote

What Dave said.  Any place near coastal population centers will cost you multiples of FL house prices.  I'm on the SF peninsula on the ocean side of the hill...4 or 5:1 compared to an equivalent home I had in north TX.  When my house closes in a month, new buyer gets $7K in property taxes in addition to his mortgage.

[url]http://www.homefair.com/homefair/servlet/ActionServlet?pid=200&tool=salarycalculator&previousPage=116&cid=homefair&fromState=FL&toState=CA&salary=100000&fromCity=1212875&toCity=0668252&ownrent=own[/url]  is a cost of living calculator that looks at Clearwater v. San Mateo (middle of SF peninsula).  Median home price in San Mateo county last quarter was >$400K  Bring money, and good luck.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#12]
rjorberts,

On the negative side:

Personal income tax is high
Sales taxes are high
Gasoline prices are high
Auto registration, insurance, etc. are high
Housing costs very high anywhere you'd want to live
Public schools are doing poorly (at least compared to the 1960s and 70s)
Restrictive laws of all kinds
To earthquakes add: fires, floods, severe winter storms (wind and rain and tornadoes on the coast, ice and snow inland), droughts, and heat waves

On the plus side:

Low heating and air conditioning costs (on and near the coast)
Pleasant climate year-round in most places
Easy access to oceans, fresh water, mountains, and deserts
Lots of good colleges and universities

And the number 1 reason for liking California:

It's not New Jersey
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input, guys.  As I said, I'm looking for all the pitfalls and, hopefully, I can lead the search to the "right" homes with a sufficiently shocking price.  I know she'll respond to the "costs more cash, leaves less stash" argument.  Stash is her term for spending-money.  

The main consideration has been n the Pismo BEach area, with some talk of Ventura.  (Rolling my eyes, I know how much Ventura costs).  Another fun area is Santa Barbara.  Two years ago, we saw a shack there for $500,000. +  .  Would have fit in my garage.  Shut that down for a while. But, she's getting the ideas again.

It's nuts here in Pinellas - for those who don't know the area, it's on the West coast, about 15 miles due West of Tampa.  Areas include St. Petersburg and Clearwater (thanks for the link comparing Clearwater with San Mateo).  The prices have gone NUTSSSSS here in the past year and a half.  You would not think you are in FL.  Junk that I wouldn't expect to be more than $300,000. (and that only because it's on a canal; otherwise it would be  $125,000) is going for $500,000., and that's needing work.  ANd anything decent (no, not looking for any mansion) is rapidly heading over $600,000.  Interestingly, some of the most significant overpayments, which drive up the market, are followed by (guess what?) cars with CA tags.  My only guess is that the exorbitant prices here look  cheap.  Seen a number of those.  

Then, all I need is she sees houses on Realtor.com , in Pismo BEach, for $450,000 to $550,000, and says, well you can guess.

Tomorrow I'm taking her on a ride over to the St. Augustine area, and coming back down through a couple of the beach towns north of Daytona.  Prices "seem" a bit better there.  Sheesh, some of the towns/cities here think they are in CA - Sarasota, for example.  The Keys went over the top about 3 years ago.  Florida isn't the cheap mecca of years ago.  Sure, you can get cheap in the middle of the state, for old farms/ranches, stewing and steaming with nothing around.  But, get to anyplace worth living,  it's getting high.

I see auto insurance is still about 30-40% higher in CA.  And, the license fees.  Might be able to bring some influence to bear with those stats.

And, a big part of it is something to which a couple of you alluded: job pay.  I am retired.  At 55, though, I don't intend to sit around and rot.  So, I need money left over  to go do things.  And,  I don't need to find a job just to make ends meet, either.  That defeats the whole purpose.  

Don't get me wrong, CA is a beautiful state, and a climate second to none.  But, it seems to have been taken over and is being ruined, in my view.  Thirty years ago, I would have loved to have moved to the LA area - was offered a job in Woodland Hills - but things have changed.  The hows and whys are a bit much for my poor little brain, but it's something I'm trying to avoid.  MAybe it will be natiowide eventually, but we'll wait for it's own good time.

To the California Kid.  Thanks for the list.  And I agree about NJ - anything is better.  I used to live there, so I'm allowed to say it.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#14]
RJR,
Given the nature of this board, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned another obvious negative:
Florida is a "Shall Issue" state for CCW, in California you will have a VERY difficult time getting a carry permit, unless you live in one of the more rural or remote counties. Exceptions: San Diego county is a possibility, and possibly Orange County.  Also a couple of small cities in Ventura County.  I live in L.A. City (till the November elections anyway, I'm voting for the valley secession).  About the only permit the Police Commission issued in the last 20 years was to former Chief of Police Willie Williams, who never took the P.O.S.T. test to legally qualify as a peace officer in the state!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:42:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Fivestand,

Take a look at the DOJ site:

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html

I am fairly certain your question was asked on a DOJ registration FAQ and answered with YES. The others here have raised doubts, which have caused me second thoughts. I could not find the Registration pages I am referring to and I thought, since registration is long over, maybe the pages were deleted. I did not find anything that directly answers your question, but if you look at the 2000 registration laws you can see the 1989 firearms are again listed as needing to be resistered.

I urge you to CALL THE CA DOJ, and get a definitive answer. Good luck and please post your findings here.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the name & phone number of a doj lady who bave me some straght answers, considering for whom she works.  Send me an email if you want it.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Gas prices are high, but not as high as they are in Washington. Car tabs are expensive, but not as expensive as Oklahoma.
Food is cheaper in certain parts of Cali too.
Fishing and hunting liscenses are cheaper.
If you wanted to live in the Ventura area without paying an arm and a leg try Fillmore or Santa Paula. Simi Valley used to be "inexpensive" to buy there.  I know that there were some new crackerbox homes in Oxnard, 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage, going for under $160K.  Of course they are in between Oxnard Blvd and the 101 freeway.
The number one reason why I won't move back to Kalifornicastan?  The gun laws.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top