Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2002 12:53:49 AM EDT
Okay, I know this subject has recently been touched upon elsewhere here by a member wanting to remark his lower receiver as "M-16".

My question is, would it be legal to have a pre-ban Colt Sporter Target remarked as "AR-15A2"?
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I found this letter on re-marking an H&K SP89. I don't know if you want to go by this or not, but it seems to indicate as long as you don't alter the serial number, it's ok:

[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter59.txt[/url]

I'll look around some more and see if I can find anything more recent, or directly related to AR-15's.

Edited:
This letter (proposal) seems to indicate that the model designator, if so assigned by the manufacturer, should not be altered:

[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_marking_reg.txt[/url]

Not sure if it's law now or not, but you should be able to use the subsection numbers to look it up :)

Also, not sure if these are NFA specific or not, but I wouldn't suspect it would be much different for non-NFA firearms.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My question is, would it be legal to have a pre-ban Colt Sporter Target remarked as "AR-15A2"?
View Quote

You can have it marked any way you want, Sooo long as the serial # and "Colt's..../Hartford-CT" remain as originally stamped by manufacturer.

As stated by Dave below, ask ATF, I kinda dropped the ball maybe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Boomer,

Check with your state laws.  As an example, California prohibits altering the maker, model and serial numbers without written permission of the DOJ.  Washington may be the same...or not.

On second thought...I would say that BATF would not approve as marking might be construed as the unlawful making of a semiautomatic assault weapon.  You need to write a letter to the BATF Firearms Technology Branch.  

DO NOT ACCEPT THE OPINIONS OF ANYONE POSTING ANSWERS HERE AS THE FINAL WORD.  That includes me.  Write the BATF and ask them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Boomer,

Check with your state laws.  As an example, California prohibits altering the maker, model and serial numbers without written permission of the DOJ.  Washington may be the same...or not.

On second thought...I would say that BATF would not approve as marking might be construed as the unlawful making of a semiautomatic assault weapon.  You need to write a letter to the BATF Firearms Technology Branch.  

DO NOT ACCEPT THE OPINIONS OF ANYONE POSTING ANSWERS HERE AS THE FINAL WORD.  That includes me.  Write the BATF and ask them.
View Quote

Good advice on asking BATF. Definitely do it by letter, that way they will send the response by mail and you will have it in writing. If you do this, please keep us updated.

As far as creating a semiautomatic assault weapon, it already is one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay, I know this subject has recently been touched upon elsewhere here by a member wanting to remark his lower receiver as "M-16".

View Quote

To "remark" one would have to be have a type 07 license, I believe, or

One could also execute a  form 1 to modify an existing receiver, I believe.

The model and like information is about being traceable.

mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top