Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2002 11:43:12 AM EDT
Just got off the phone with Atlanta. They said I would receive an additional form to fill out proving I'm a US citizen. It seems that on March 26th the form was added to the requirements, but field offices do not have the forms and may be unaware of the requirement. I requested forms from Birmingham in early April they never mentioned it, said send the 7cr and 30 bucks. However the NLC has "a few" copies which they photo copy and send when they reject your application for not having it. It should also be noted, I called on Monday to check my status. Mailed it 5 weeks ago. They said they received it at NLC on 11 May. Realized I needed additional form the same day I called. They also said the processing clock starts over when they get the additional (new) form back at NLC.

UPDATE: Got the letter today the form is an ATF F 5330-20 (3-2002)

Title: CERTIFICATION OF COMPLIANCE WITH 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)

It appears I write my name, fill in United States as my country, and sign it.

The letter also said if I fail to return it within 30 days my application will be considered abandoned.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey just to help out the form is on the BATF site at: [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf[/url]

Take care all,

Steve
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I asked BATF to explain where and why this is required here is the answer they sent:

The requirement to complete ATF Form 5330.20, Compliance with 18 U.S.C.
922(g)(5)(B), was announced in the Federal Register of February 5, 2002.

To access the Temporary Ruling go to our main web-site:
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov.[/url] Under New Regulations for Nonimmigrant Aliens
Regarding Firearms and Ammunition, click on "here" (the word is in blue) to
access the press release. Click on Press Release 2/5/2002. Click on
Temporary rule T.D. ATF-471.

After reading it i think the reason is since nonimagrant aliens cannot get an FFL you now have to prove your not one.  The 7CR only asks are you an illegal alien and if you have renounced your US citizenship. A nonimigrant alien could truthfully answer NO to both.
I think it says you must complete the form for renewals as well.

Of course thats a lay opinion of 4 pages of legalize. maybe Steve can give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Bamaboy,
    Wouldn't listing my SSN on the 7CR be proof enough that I am a US citizen?  I wouldn't think a nonimigrant alien would have one. Most Government agencies (I work for one) run the SSN for proof of just about everything. The new form dosen't ask very much. I have searched the BATF sight, and they still only require a 7CR and $30.00. I would hope that they will update, and inform there field offices of this new requirement. I too filed almost two months ago for my C&R and as of today, have still heard nothing.

Ted
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
And the paperwork reduction act notice takes up a page all to itself. [>:/]

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
TedL - I would think they could to. But you, as do I (I'm AD military), work for a massive buearacracy. And if the processor was told do not process without the form, guess what's going to happen. You need to call the NLC and find your processor. Mine was very polite and explained what I needed to do to move things along. I had the form in 2 days.  

Kharn - If they hadn't put it on the back they would have probably put "This page intentionally left Blank" so everyone would know there wasn't a back side to the page.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Bamaboy,
   UPDATE. Received my license and complete package of books and forms Saturday. The license was mailed from Atlanta, and the forms and manuals from Springfield Va. I guess I made it under the new guide lines. Hope you don't have to wait too long. Good luck.  Ted
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Nonimigrant alien's can get SS#. It's wacky but here in CaliBan if you want a Drivers License you have to get a SS# first. My (now) wife had to get one but it was labeled it wasn't good for work. So WTF is it for?? We are going through the final steps for her Green card and perminent residency now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I received my license(c&r) yesterday, i mailed payment and application apr. 5. So it took approx. 61 days. I have not received boundbook and guidelines yet. Woooohooooo
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok i'm getting close. I received the listing of C&R weapons today The 2001 version. It also includes the rules.Called Atlanta and she said I should get license tomorrow. She mails them 1 day apart. But the book came from Atlanta. I already downloaded a bound book file for MS Excel. It seems pretty nice. Plus we got a gun show this weekend in Montgomery. Ain't father's day great.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
IT'S HERE! the license arrived today. With the run around it took 57 days. Once they got the form back it was about 2 weeks. Well I got some copying and mailing to do.
[bounce]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top