Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2002 2:39:50 PM EDT
I have a post ban 9mm upper. I bought a A1 style pre ban type FS(at Knob Creek) to press onto the end. I took it to a machine shop that has done some other work  for me in the past. To make a long story short , instead of pressing the fs all the way on the barrel so you could not see through the fs slots, he only pressed it on half way(You can see daylight through the upper half of the fs). Do you think this is legal?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably not.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a post ban 9mm upper. I bought a A1 style pre ban type FS(at Knob Creek) to press onto the end. I took it to a machine shop that has done some other work  for me in the past. To make a long story short , instead of pressing the fs all the way on the barrel so you could not see through the fs slots, he only pressed it on half way(You can see daylight through the upper half of the fs). Do you think this is legal?
View Quote

Two things wrong with this. One is the one you already noticed. It IS a flash hider as assembled onto your upper. BUT, if it has a 22MM OD it is also a grenade launcher. And would be, even if pushed too far onto your barrel to be a flash suppressor...

Scott

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
What's this stuff about 22mm? I try to keep up on the laws so I can be legal(unlike the bad guys) but I've never heard anything about 22mm.
Also the fs was reamed out and then pressed onto the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's this stuff about 22mm? I try to keep up on the laws so I can be legal(unlike the bad guys) but I've never heard anything about 22mm.
Also the fs was reamed out and then pressed onto the barrel.
View Quote

The "grenade launcher" provision of the 1994 law refers to integral 22MM diameter muzzle devices used to launch grenades from the barrel of a firearm. The NATO standard is 22MM ID for the grenades, 22MM OD for the muzzle device. If the flash suppresssor was reamed out, it probably did [b]NOT[/b] bulge being installed. Someone posted links to pics of the grenades before. (Look kinda like a mortar round.) Other NATO countries use them, not the US. But the muzzle devices are sized uniformly for them...

Scott

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Marauder,

How does the pressed F/S look?  Could you post a pic of one pressed all the way?

Scott,

Where have you been hiding?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#7]
General Discussion. There and getting banned from AssWeb...

Scott

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like those could be fun -:

Back to the start though, think I'm legal on this barrel fs config?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Troy,

Thanx. I knew someone would have a link for the pic....

Scott

[beer]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top